Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that alot of you use canister filters. I am a fan of wet/dry filters myself, but I am just wondering, because alot of peaple here don't seem to use them, if there are some drawbacks to using them in a planted aquarium that I don't know about. Also, I have always been a fan of a "natural" system vs a bunch of expensive gadgets that I don't really understand.

I am in the the "planning" stage right now. So far, I already have:
4 x 48" t5 lighting w/icecap 660 ballast
a 60" 100 gallon tank w/overflow and a 55 gallon aquarium as a sump
I have a rena (not sure about spelling here) canister filter

I was orginally planning to make or buy a wet/dry filter, but I may just use my canister.

Other questions:
how much water flow in a fw aquarium?
temperature in a fw planted tank?
what temp. bulbs? and how many watts?

I plan to buy a co2 system later down the road, but I am really flying blind. Never tried live plants to any extent.

Oh yeah, My tank will most likely be home to a large school of angels. They are by far my favorite species of fish. I have kept them in the past, and am eager to get a fw setup running again.

I know this is alot to take in for one post, but I am thinking a wet/dry filter, co2 system, and the lights I have should make a good set-up for a heavily planted tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so less gas exchange is better. Would that have to do maintaining a particular co2 level?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts