Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, for about 2 yrs had a penguin biowheel 350 (made for up to about 70 gallons) in my 35 gall african cichlid tank. Today I'll need to buy my 4th filter. After a while even after cleaning them really well, the impeller gets all screwed up and they get loud and annoying.

What are some good recommendations for alternatives? cannister filtration? I don;t have live plants, just plain rock and white sand as a substrate, have had great luck as far as fissh, 1 casualty in 2ys but i want a quieter filter

·
Registered
271 Posts
AquaClear70 or AquaClear110
AquaClears give you the best of both worlds. theyre basically hang on canisters. the way the media basket is set up is exactly the same as a canister. but with the AquaClear filters you get a higher flow rate than you would get for a comparable canister.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AquaClear for sure if you want a HOB. But canisters are a great alternative
after doing more research, decided to go with a canister, rena X2 love the results, it's only been running for a few hrs and the water was really cloudy before i put it in since i didn;t do a change in 5 weeks. After this filter was on for one hr, the water looked really clear and now it looks almost perfectly clear. Im doing a water change first thing in the morning and ill start doing about 30%, every 3 weeks, water changes from now. Loving the filter, the rena x2 is rated for up to 75gal. i might upgrade my 35gal to a 55 or 60 (possibly salt h2o) since the filter should be able to handle that. thanks all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts