Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I just want to know everyone's opinion on what is the best filteration system(s) to use on FW or SW tanks and why?

Filter (HOB)
Filter, Canister
Filter, Undergravel
Filter, Sponge

Skilter
Protein Skimmer

------------------------------------------

Mechanical
Biological
Chemical

So many filter types, so little time *n1 I know I may of missed a couple....please add.

Reactions: JIM

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
All of the above :) There can never be too much filtration on an aquarium.unless its taking out the fish as well *r2. All the filtration plus gravel vac, and water changes frequently= happy healthy Aquarium

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Ok, I just want to know everyone's opinion on what is the best filteration system(s) to use on FW or SW tanks and why?

Filter (HOB)
Filter, Canister
Filter, Undergravel
Filter, Sponge

Skilter
Protein Skimmer

------------------------------------------

Mechanical
Biological
Chemical

So many filter types, so little time *n1 I know a may of missed a couple....please add.
None of the above. :)

The best filtration for any close aquatic envorinment is plant life.

On my Fw tanks I use live plants and nothing else. not even an air stone.

On my marine tanks I use macro algaes in a sump. But those do have circulation but no additional filters not even skimmers.

In both cases my tanks have thrived for years with no water changes.

But that is just my .02

Reactions: AlexisPets

·
Registered
57 Posts
well you forgot one, a wet dry filter.

my first set up was a HOB wet dry from truvu called the mighty max. i hated it, impossible to keep the return balanced with the siphon. now im running an UGF. while i like it better then the wet dry, my next tank is definatly gonna be a canister filter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A wet/dry is the best IMO. next is the canister and then the hob. I will never use a undergravel, it pulls all the crap down under the rocks and into the undergravel rack where it stays indefinately, you cant clean it without taking it out and then it makes a huge mess. There is a thread here started recently by cichlidkeeper about the best type of canister filter to use, here's a link.
http://www.aquariumforum.com/f2/rena-fluval-eheim-4039.html

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Some more filter types to consider

Fluidized bed.

reverse flow under gravel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input. I haven't used a reverse flow undergravel. I'll have to give that a whirl *r2 (no pun intended). Anyway, thanks again.

And be sure to look for my Filtration: Part 2 post

1 - 7 of 7 Posts