Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, heres the situation. :)

Went to 4 LFS's and 2 Aquatic wholesalers, and none had a complete filter setup big enough for my moderate 155 gal. i dont want to drill holes, but i can run pvc over the top? idk really....:confused: im new, and dont know much about the large pump filters.

its a 155 gallon,
(i dont know if this is neccesarry, but) my fishlist;

2 koi, 2 comet goldfish, 2 redtail botias, 2 clown loaches, 5 black tetras, 10 guppy/25cent fish, 3 common plec's, 1 paddle tail newt.

eventual additions;

+2 newts, 15 cherry shrimp (who got the 20 for $21!?:mad:), maybe some peacefull new world cichlids(?)(blue rams?), 5 (medium) snails

(yes, i know, all the parimiters for all these fish/verts are different... but so far, everything is good.) obviously, ide like to save $, but im excpecting to pay some coin....

·
Registered
67 Posts
i have to warn that you tetra, guppy, shrimp, and possibly your snails will eventually dissappear with this setup

and the tank is about a tenth of the size you are gonna need for those Koi and and like 30gal too small for the comets

that and GBR are kinda tough to keep and they need warmer waters like near 80degree where as the koi and comets like colder water

and as your tank stands now you cant add anything else because you are WAY over stocked cause remember all of the fish you have in there grow as an example Koi can get up to 3ft long, the comets get over a foot long, the clown loaches get a foot long, the botia get to just under a foot long

now if you drop the Koi, and comets, and the loaches if you really wanna keep the tetra, guppy, and snails, if you drop those you could easily house some GBR and other peaceful SA cichlids

now i dont know much about the newts but from some pics i just looked up they look to get to a pretty decent size too so they may pose a threat to the smaller fish

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can get by with a big canister filter.... Cascade 1500 I think is rated for at least 155gal... not a bad price works will.. cna get one one ebay for under 150.00 easily

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can get by with a big canister filter.... Cascade 1500 I think is rated for at least 155gal... not a bad price works will.. cna get one one ebay for under 150.00 easily
:)

i have to warn that you tetra, guppy, shrimp, and possibly your snails will eventually dissappear with this setup

now i dont know much about the newts but from some pics i just looked up they look to get to a pretty decent size too so they may pose a threat to the smaller fish
all my fish are 3" or under, currently, and i got while before overstocking becomes an issue. the comets will be finding a new home, shortly, the koi will be pond fish eventually, and im down to 1 clown loach... i think... but 1 dissapears frequently, and re-appears as if nothing happened... so i might have 2. thanks for the heads up though, but i relize i made a common mistake when i first bought my tank... (to many/kinds of fish)

as far as GBR's go, i no longer intend to keep them. i have quite a difficulty keeping my tank proper, but im practicing... (i do the work, but somehow i fail.):eek:

·
Registered
285 Posts
My guess is get an aqua clear brand filter.. and look for the ones that support up to 100 gallon tanks, get at least 2 of them, I have in my 200 gallon tank, 3 100 gallon tank filters.. because if you have more, it cleans the water better.

But your fish species that you have together is an ABSOLUTE BAD ONE!! your guppies may die because of the ammonia level. I raised black skirt tetras with my gold fishes before, and they are alright.

You might find that goldfish species, they will poop a lot, and leave the water cloudy. You can get plants, but you have to get the ones that grow fast, because gold fishes need some vegetables in their diet, and that is what plants are for..

Anacharis

Amazon Sword

Anubias

Java Fern

Java moss

Bacopa Leaf

Water Onions

Four Leaf Clover.

They are fast growing, and they are also tank cleaners, they eat the dangerous bacteria, and the waste.. SOME of the waste, about 10 percent of the entire tanks waste consumed with in 1-5 days.

Anubias - They don't require a lot of light since they are from the tropical countries, and grow deep down in the lakes, and rivers. Light does not reach it often, and they are adapted to low light conditions. You will find that in the summer solstice, that the light will reach deep down in the lake. Magic isn't it.

Bacopa Leaf - I have 2 of them in all of my tanks, 10, 29, and 200 gallon tanks. They are fast growers, need at least 12 hrs of light, and they do feed on minerals, and fish waste in the gravel. Fishes such as Angels, Goldies, Gouramis, Plecos, Cichlids, and Oscars feed on them, and the plants are adapted onto growing fast.

Amazon Sword - They can live for a long time, and grow to 50 cm length. Plecos will eat on them, and the leaves will recover in 5 hrs, for small 1 cm holes, and you will know that they can turn brown, and that is because iron is very low in the water. Try getting some iron enriched formula for the water, and the plant will absorb it as much as it can, and should grow back.

Java Fern - Cichlids main plant food YUMM!!! they can also use it to lay eggs, if the plant leaf is big enough. Again, they are fast growers, and they need sun light, and iron as well.. just put it this way.. ALL PLANTS MUST HAVE IRON, unless the people say they don't need as much iron.. and aquarium salt is essential for the plants too, it kills bacteria that is causing the plants to turn brown.. other than that the plant reaches it's due date to retire, and die.

Anacharis - Known as the Brazilian Water weed, they are known to grow in south America, and are good for housing sun fish eggs. They do require iron, and fertilizer, and moderate lighting, about 12 hrs of fluorescent lighting. They also like temperatures from 52-82ºF OHH, they are also good for producing oxygen in the water too :) convenient eh?

Four Leaf Clover plant - YEAHH!! IF YOU HAVE THESE YOU HAVE LUCK :O I WANT ONE I WANT ONE :p but nope they aren't for luck :p they are originally from Australia, and there are 2 clover leafs mixed together to morph as a four leaf :) haha now you know eh?? but these plants have something special. They can grow when partly out from the water, or submerged under water :) not many plants can do that oo!!

Java Moss - they grow really fast, and cover the entire gravel bed, so then all of the waste just gets dropped onto it, and then the moss will feed on it :) they do require food too. Iron, and fertilizer for it. Grow fast, and some plants will eat the moss sometimes. Oh, and sometimes they wont stick to the gravel :) check on google images :)

Water Onion - They are tough, and thick.. well the leaves are :p so they don't have many predators, and they will grow extremely fast! no matter if you cut them 2" from the roots, give em a week, and you'll know why I tell the truth :)

I hope this part helps :)

Fishes that can go together.

Gold fishes, and cichlids, a so so. If you have a gold fish bigger than the cichlids, it's a go go.. cichlid bigger than the gold fish is a no no.

Gold fishes - Eat a lot, and produce a lot of waste, and will make the tank very cloudy :( bad thing, and they eat plants, and sarassa comets.. they have 3 second memory, yeah I know they need to get their brains expanded eh?? gold fishes, are cold water, and can survive as low as -10º in ponds. Feeder fishes, are usually supposed to be kept small for feeding to the bigger aggressive fish.

Tetras - Tetras are good with Betta fishes in a big tank.. don't listen to the people that say they need to stay in small vases, or little containers. it's like your suffocating them.. so tetras, they don't poop too much, they eat a lot of fish flakes, but they also eat a lot of plants too. It is a little difficult telling the fishes apart from male, or female. Tank mates = other tetras, jack dempseys, Betta, and Fire mouth Cichlid. They will be fine with small Oscars, but when the Oscars get bigger.. your tetras are in trouble. They can go with Gouramis too :)

Guppies - Male, and female very easy to figure out which is which.. male have beautiful tail fins, and females.. not so good lookin.. they are live bearers, and I suggest that after the female is finished laying 100-200 babies, you take out the female, and put the baby guppies in a tank by themselves, in a small net, with very small size fish flakes.. like as small as powder. Tank buddies = tetras, and barbs.

Oscars - highly aggressive, and will bite. They develop teeth when they are as big as 8" and will eat live fish that are very small. They won't go well with eels, because usually the eels are very small, and are good with gouramis.

Tank buddies - Cichlids, Oscars, and pleco. NOTHING ELSE!!

Pleco - very laid back, and lazy.. like Shikamaru Nara from Naruto :p

Tank buddies - any type of fishes :)

BIG RESPONSE!!! and I hope that you can read this :)

Byee!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts