Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New user here.

I have a 49g bow front tank and I put a Emperor 400 Marineland Bio Wheel sincce the 280 only is rated for 50g and i figured i'd want the better cleaning ability.

I got it all up and running and it seems like alot of water moving and I am wondering if it is too much.

I have 4 smaller angelfish in there and they can swim anywhere they want but they seem to prefer camping out at the bottom corner around some plants on the end opposite of the filter. They do sometimes cruise over through the current but seem lazy and go back to the bottom side are usually. Also they have been in there only 2 days so they might still be a bit freaked out.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm running 2 200gph on my 55gal. I didn't know there was a such thing as too much filtration... Is it just turbulance that you suggest might be too high. Mine doesn't seem excessive. Maybe it's the shape of the tank however.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Look at this way, if your turn over rate is 200 gph in a 20gal. tank and you put a 400 gph on the same tank you are moving alot more water at a faster rate. So the water has to be move faster, creating more current. You need to look at the fish your keeping some fiah some come from fast moving streams and other come from slow moving pond. You really can't filter water to much it the current your in your tank is what we are talking about.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts