Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question has probably been asked many times, but I'm new to this forum. I have a 30 gallon tank that houses two gold fish. I have owned this tank for several years, at one time I lost all my fish which I think it was because of buying a sick fish from a place that I will not buy fish from again. The tank set empty for almost a year and I had to get it going again in a hurry! My backyard got flooded and I had to save my 2 large gold fish from being washed away. I filled it with tap water, treated it with AquaSafe, let it set for 24 hours, and then put the fish in the tank. I ended up losing one, but the larger one survived, and that was back in May. I recently bought another one for that tank it is doing well. Now for the question. Anytime I add water to that tank, I buy distilled water. I have just got a 55 gallon tank from a friend and I need to fill it up. I have not decided on the type of fish for this tank, but I want to get it ready. Do I fill it up with tap water from my house, or buy distilled water? Thanks.

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
It depends on the water that comes out of your tap. Fill up a glass with tap water and check it to see what the parameters are. Do you know if your city or whoever supplies the water, adds anything to it? I use water from my kitchen, but it is well water and the only thing wrong with it is that it is really hard from outside faucets and really soft from inside ones.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Most of the time you can use tap (city or well) if it is treated. Some people don't have to do anything to it and some have to do a lot to it. Are you on city water or well water. Most of the time a water conditioner that will remove chlorine and chloramine will do the trick. It is also handy to know if you have ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in your water.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Tap water should do just fine as long as you use a good water conditioner and your tap water isn't too bad in the first place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers. It is city water, it's good water, sometimes the chlorine is high. I use Aqua Safe if I use the water.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks for the answers. It is city water, it's good water, sometimes the chlorine is high. I use Aqua Safe if I use the water.
If it's chlorine (not chloromine) you can let it stand in uncovered 5 gallon buckets for a couple of days until the chlorine evaporates - then you don't need conditioner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts