Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, as i save up for my new 55g tank, or bigger - i'm trying to decide what kind of fish build i'd want. so far i've thought of having a male crowntail betta and a few puffers(i'd like at least 1 of every kind, if i manage to find them for sale). i'm not entirely sure for the crowntail, but the size of the tank means they can be at peace and not bother each other for territory. i'm also looking for some passive or hardy tank mates both can be at play with.

my questions are:
  1. can a 55g tank be good for a male crowntail and a few puffers?
  2. what tank-mates can i have in the tank that wont get bullied, or pestered by both the crowntail and puffers.
  3. food recommendations for your suggestion(s) of tank-mates.
  4. would a pleco, or CAE fish be okay in this tank?
  5. live plant recommendations.
  6. filtration. i've heard bettas like a silent kind of filtration.

i'm not too decided on this build. but whatever FW recommendations you have for me, please toss it at me.

p.s: i was wondering if anyone could help me on a DIY filter for my 20g tank and perhaps my 55g+ when i get it. since i'm boarding a college and sometimes don't have time to clean my tank.

thanks,
-Carlos.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
There won't be very many fish that will be compatible with a puffer. Even the smallest pea puffers will attack other fish.

My suggestion would be to move all the fish from the 20 to the 55 as they will be outgrowing the 20. Then you could put a couple of pea puffers in the 20 or 1 of the dwarf puffers. or a betta and a small school of cories or something.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you agree that the tank itself is big enough for the fish to keep to themselves, rather than run around bunched up fighting for territory?

i haven't tried this before, but i've heard from people they had a semi-aggressive tank with plenty of community typed fish.

also, the crowntail is still to be determined as i've never dealt with one. puffers are actually something i've always wanted in a tank... i was just wondering if both these fish would be okay with each other in a 55g tank.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i'll still take your suggestion into consideration.

i also have a 10g tank that's empty. i might do a DIY project and make a 30g tank out of my current 20g and 10g after i get my 55g up and running. although..., i'm not sure where to go for this to happen, since i don't know where to start with that.. - lowes, home-depot?

edit: now let's say i have a puffer only tank. would i be able to have at least 1 of every FW typed puffer with no problems?

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
No! You can possibly keep a small group of pea puffers, but best should be 1 for every 10 gal because of territory disputes.

On your other question about making a 30 out of a 20 and 10, I don't understand as I don't see how that would be possible unless you use one as a sump.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No! You can possibly keep a small group of pea puffers, but best should be 1 for every 10 gal because of territory disputes.

On your other question about making a 30 out of a 20 and 10, I don't understand as I don't see how that would be possible unless you use one as a sump.
alright. i guess when i get my 55g+ tank i'll move over my gourami's and use my 20g as the pea puffers tank. but i was hopping for a semi-aggressive 55g tank.
now if i do convert into a semi-aggressive tank, which is pretty much what i've decided, i have someone who can house my gourami's.

now to clarify the last part: i was thinking of breaking apart my 10g and merging it with my 20g to produce a 30g sump for my 55g tank. i'm just scared of doing it myself since i've never attempted this.
i don't think it's worth it, and i might just buy a 30g long off CL and use that as the sump, then use my 10g as a sump for my 20g, then use my 20g to hold the puffers, or perhaps use it as a breeding tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts