Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question. But I bought some Plant Food Tabs 0-0-6 plus iron (no phosphates) for aquatic plants. It guarantees greener leaves. Will this increase the chlorophyl in my red leafed plants making them appear greener? What is a good fertilizer to use on red leafed aquarium plants? Our city water already has phosphates. I got these tabs primarily for my Madagascar Lace Leaf plant since it needs extra nutrition.

Or is simply better lighting the solution to redder leaves?

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for the info. The Jungle Plant tabs have 1% iron, and have potassium chloride and potassium sulfate in them. I've got 30 ppm nitrates now. Is that enough?

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
If you want to dose iron I have heard the ferrous gluconate is a good method.

100 240mg pills are like $6 from drug stores.

I mix a pill in a 12 oz bottle then dose a little each day.

Edit: I mean each week. Daily dosing of iron could be a big dangerous overdose.

/edit

Can't say it make much difference but then I also don't have reds. It also did not affect my corals in my marine tank so it must be pretty safe. I have noticed a little less algae in the marine tank though.

See

Ferrous Gluconate 240 mg | Gold Seal | Walgreens

Reactions: fishfinder

·
Registered
20 Posts
Getting reds to "pop" more than usual can be very hard to target with all different species of plants. I find that very low nitrates will bring the reds out in my tanks.
That being said, I find a source of iron readily available either through the root base or leaves works on a variety of plants..
Followed by intense lighting :)

Regards,
Orlando

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, that's very good advice. Its a gorgeous red right now, I'm still looking for the ferrous gluconate. Couldn't find it at my local Walgreens. I may have to order it on-line. I'll look this weekend again at other stores.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My LFS had a great variety of SeaChem products. That's the first place I'll head. Thank you for the tip.

·
Registered
756 Posts
For cheaper iron look online for chelated iron for aquariums. It is a powder, and 1/8 tsp is plenty for a 75g tank once every 3 days.

AGA or Rex Grigg and a few other stores. BTW Flourish complete also has some iron, so I just dose with that and add the powder as needed.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts

I'm still looking for the ferrous gluconate. Couldn't find it at my local Walgreens. I may have to order it on-line. I'll look this weekend again at other stores.

This is what I got from wallgreens on line for kent wa:

wallgreens on line ferris gluconate said:
Southeast 256th & 104th Southeast or Smith & Benson, Kent, WA In Stock
25605 104th Ave Se, Kent, WA 98031
Phone (253) 813-6968

Store Hours
Open 24 Hours
Pharmacy Hours
Open 24 Hours

NEC of 132Nd Avenue Se & Kent Kangley Road, Kent, WA In Stock
27112 132nd Ave. S.E., Kent, WA 98042
Phone (253) 638-3324

Store Hours
M-F: 8:00AM - 10:00PM
Sat: 8:00AM - 10:00PM
Sun: 8:00AM - 10:00PM
Pharmacy Hours
M-F: 9:00AM - 9:00PM
Sat: 10:00AM - 6:00PM
Sun: 10:00AM - 6:00PM

NEC of Auburn Way N & 15Th St, Auburn, WA In Stock
1416 Harvey Road, Auburn, WA 98002
Phone (253) 394-0022

Store Hours
Pharmacy Hours
Sat: 9:00AM - 6:00PM

NEC of 172Nd Ave Se & 272Nd St, Covington, WA In Stock
27130 172nd Ave Se, Covington, WA 98042
Phone (253) 630-6791

Store Hours
Pharmacy Hours
Sat: 9:00AM - 6:00PM

NWC of Pacific Hwy S (99) & Kent-Des Moines Rd (516), Des Moines, WA In Stock

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got some SeaChem Flourish Iron liquid this weekend. I had already used a tab by Jungle, 0-0-6 plus iron and micronutrients, near the root systems, at 1/4 tab per plant.

My little 12 gallon Eclipse12 doesn't have an option for 3+ WPG lighting. But another tank is next to it, so it gets more than the usual for an Eclipse12. I don't know about the CO2, seems silly for a 12 gallon ... lol.

So far, the only problem is the YoYo's somewhat tearing the plant apart. Its only half as thick as it was when I got it, but twice as big.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Before you go crazy on DiY, make sure you check your KH (carbonate hardness) and GH (general hardness). A reading of 3-4 or more is good enough to buffer the pH. The last thing you want is to add CO2 and have your pH drop a full point or more. You want the pH to drop slowly and no more than 0.5-0.8...then at night with a DiY since you cannot turn it off, make sure you have plenty of surface agitation to keep oxygen levels up.

Keep an eye on your CO2 for a few days, especially first thing in the morning when it will probably be at its lowest and right after lights out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would get some iron and dose some extra.
Like Susankat said, need some extra iron like Seacam's Iron cause that 1% is not thing. What you got is all purpose fert for most of the stuff and that 1% would be out very easy as Iron disapper very fast. But with out the good lighting can't really show off your red!!!

And, Lower the PH = higher the Co2 contant in the water... hope this would help before you jump into the DIY CO2. Not all plants needed CO2 if you have the correct lighting(high in kelvin)

T

1 - 20 of 23 Posts