Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here, though i am not truly a newbie to the hobby. I have been taking care of many kinds of fish since i was 8 and won my first goldfish at a carnival. My next fishies were some orange mollies (i believe, i am not quite sure), which spawned unexpectedly. Though, at 9 years old i was smart enough to get the fry away from the parents quickly, and most of them survived, though i dont remember what happened to them later on.
I tried goldfish in middle school, but i kept them in bowls because that is all that my mom would let me buy, and they would always die the day after being introduced to the tank. Goldfish honestly arent for beginners, that's my advice, lol. So I gave up on goldfish, and for a while just helped my dad with his ~350 Gal saltwater aquarium which was beautiful. We lived in Indonesia at the time so we had access to some really beautiful fish at a very very nice price. Unfortunately there were many power outages there, and one tragic morning i awoke to most of the fish dead when my dad was out of town during an outage. My maid had unknowingly fed them while the filtration wasn't powered. I had to take on the responsibility of getting all the dead fish out and keeping the two clowns that were left alive. that experience really made me realize how fragile that ecosystem can be. I was really sad though, because we had one puffer who loved to nibble at my finger if I dipped it in the tank. I dont know what kind he was, but he had a huge stupid smile on all the time. I guess i am one of those crazy fish ladies that really find fish personalities to be amazing.
Anyway, I took an interest in bettas while in indonesia because they were abundant, and their tanks really didnt need heating from it being so hot. But, i truly didnt like how lonely they were, and am thinking about turning my newly vacant 10gal into a place for a betta to make friends with a school of neons. or at least live peacefully.
Right now, I have a year and a half old black moor, Felix, who watches me even if i am sitting five feet from the tank. they say black moors have bad vision but i swear he watches me. Then there is Francis, a younger black moor i got to accompany him when my fantail died of a bacterial infection :( And a pretty-new Pleco, Frank, who is very small right now, so hopefully it will be a bit before he needs a new home. I got him to help with an algae problem, because i tend to keep my lights on about 14 hours a day.
I have recently gained an interest in live plants, so any information anyone can give me about what i need to make them thrive in my tank would be great. They seem to be doing fine, but i would love to see them reproduce... or do i have to just buy more plants?

Anyway, thanks all for taking the time to read my life-fish story and answering my questions :)

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Welcome to the fourm. Nice to have you here with us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts