Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm a first-time fish parent to a number of wonderful molly fry. I've been feeding them baby fishfood. I just wondered at what age/size would they be able to tolerate standard fish flakes/pellets?

Thanks,

Katie

·
Registered
164 Posts
You can give Molly's flake/pellets as soon as they are large enough to get it in their mouth. They should be able to eat ground flakes rather quickly. I normally put about a tablespoon of flakes in a ziplock bag and mash it up into a powder with my fingers.

To get them to grow quickly you need to make sure the tanks water quality stays good (frequent, large water changes) and you need to feed them often with a variety of foods. With fry I do daily water changes of about 50% and feed about 4 times a day.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Crush regular food very small, and feed it to them. They will eat it just fine. Feed them until you can see their bellies are about full. Mollies have very fast digestive tracts, so it will go through their systems pairly quickly.

I feed my balloon molly fry about three times a day and they grow very quickly. (Only do this if you want your fry to grow fast)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes grinding up the flake food will work, but don't over feed..... feed your fish what you normally do except save a small pinch and grind it up in the palm and add it...they will find it and eat it. also they will find food in live plants if you have them... Java moss is great in a fry tank. It will increase the survival rate of the fry by providing protect from the other adult fish as will as provide a natural food soruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts