Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
<><
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My goldfish try follow me around when I approach the tank. (They want food!) I bought them a month ago at a local pet shop so I assume they are young and growing. I rotate flakes and pellets and give them minuscule amounts they consume in 30-60 seconds 3-4 times a day. I know I should be giving them veggies, but I haven't got around to boiling them. What should I feed them? :fish9:

My tanks consists of two Orandas and three Comets. The fancies are better surface suckers than the comets and usually get more food.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i like to mix my goldfish's food variety up a bit, because i know that eating the same thing every day MUST get boring. so, I keep frozen brine shrimp, flakes (which arent the best because they tend to cause swim bladder problems if used too often), and sinking pellets. varying those has made my fish happy.

also though, you should know that goldfish always act hungry. they are very curious, and love to watch outside of the tank, which can seem like hunger. if youre worried about them not being fed enough (which yours arent, i am sure), get an Anacharis plant. they are pretty, and are wonderful natural food for them to have all the time. My goldfish discovered the deliciousness mere minutes after i planted mine. They're also very hardy plants, so low light isnt much of an issue, and they grow like mad which keeps up with those constant munchers.

Hope that helps, just remember to keep it varied, and whenever you put food in, if it is flakes or something else that floats, encourage it to sink, so that your guys dont develop swim bladder problems from sucking up too much air. it is a very sad condition to watch.

·
<><
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the plant suggestion! I have been browsing through aquarium plant advice. The goldfish are lucky enough to have a whole wall of sunlight, so the Anacharis probably will thrive.

I will invest in frozen brine shrimp and try to stop their bubble-eating habits (the orandas had led all the fish to forage the surface.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts