Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have two betta tanks ( 5 gallon and 6 gallon ) and one of them containing some shrimp.
My last betta i got about a month ago and he had a foggy eye, but looked generally in good health.
About a week ago i introduced shrimp and some java moss to the tank and noticed yesterday that my betta wasnt looking great.
He had a bit of his lower mouth "dissolved" a gap between his upper lip and head, and right above that a bit of a lump.
From what i gathered it is mouth rot and started medicating the tank yesterday with E.M. Erythromucin.
It looks like it didn't get worse from what i can tell so i'm hoping the meds are working. Poor thing
Since he is white it was hard to spot i think. I added pictures if anyone has thoughts on it, suggestions etc ... all is welcome :) Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had foggy eye , did you quarantine before putting into his regular home and how long?
Not seeing what you see but better pictures would help with a front view. Do not see mouth rot /fungus. More info on tank can help too , pictures. Lump looks more like an injury /abscess/ulcer? But see some streaks on the body I’m concerned about but may just be bad photo. Keep your tank super clean and keep using the erythromycin but thats only a broad spectrum treatment for bacterial diseases. Better than nothing. Also temp should be between 70-80 with bettas. When ill going up to 82° can help. Make sure you have a accurate way to measure it. Infrared thermometers are the most accurate. Also in the future get something like API metafix it works on not only gram negative but positive bacterial infections. Observe well for other signs/ changes.

Her are two sites that can help with pictures
:
Complete Guide to Betta Fish Diseases and Treatment (with pictures) - Fish Care (nippyfish.net)

15 Common Betta Fish Diseases (With Pictures): Prevention and Treatment - PetHelpful

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have two betta tanks ( 5 gallon and 6 gallon ) and one of them containing some shrimp.
My last betta i got about a month ago and he had a foggy eye, but looked generally in good health.
About a week ago i introduced shrimp and some java moss to the tank and noticed yesterday that my betta wasnt looking great.
He had a bit of his lower mouth "dissolved" a gap between his upper lip and head, and right above that a bit of a lump.
From what i gathered it is mouth rot and started medicating the tank yesterday with E.M. Erythromucin.
It looks like it didn't get worse from what i can tell so i'm hoping the meds are working. Poor thing
Since he is white it was hard to spot i think. I added pictures if anyone has thoughts on it, suggestions etc ... all is welcome :) Thanks!
Hi!😃 nice to meet you!😃
Aawww...poor baby, he looks "thrilled", not!😞😞
Maybe some aquarium salt? Salt does wonders; you know? Just a little, don't make it brackish, butt then, enough to possibly make it work though...also, they have regular "Betta water", I'm sure you know about...hmmm...poor little guy, I just hate for babies to suffer; you know?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi!😃 nice to meet you!😃
Maybe some aquarium salt? Salt does wonders; you know? Just a little, don't make it brackish, butt then, enough to possibly make it work though...also, they have regular "Betta water", I'm sure you know about...hmmm...poor little guy, I just hate for babies to suffer; you know?
hi...ahi...again!😃
I just wanted to say that he's a beautiful specimen; isn't he? Real pretty colors; wow!😃

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi!😃 nice to meet you!😃
Nice to meet you too!
Thx for that :) I'm happy to say he is doing much better with his antibacterial meds. I think i was lucky that i caught it in time as it was definitely mouth rot.
Aquarium salt i didn't dare to use too much as i have shrimp in them. I think the culprit was new Java moss that i introduced into the tank :/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi...ahi...again!😃
I just wanted to say that he's a beautiful specimen; isn't he? Real pretty colors; wow!😃
Thank you. I have another dragon scale betta ( i added a pic ) , so i wanted to get a very different looking one. Love his rose pearl color too :D
And he is a sweetheart, not aggressive at all

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nice to meet you too!
Thx for that :) I'm happy to say he is doing much better with his antibacterial meds. I think i was lucky that i caught it in time as it was definitely mouth rot.
Aquarium salt i didn't dare to use too much as i have shrimp in them. I think the culprit was new Java moss that i introduced into the tank :/
Hi!😃
Good, good!😃
I'm sooo happy for you, hon, for I'd been praying for your baby! 😃😃😃 yippee!😃😃😃
I understand about the salt but you can also give him a "salt bath" when needed though.
Wow!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts