Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 10 gallon aquarium that came with a pretty basic filter. I was going to stock it with a single goldfish from our outdoor pond that has goldfish and koi in it. Unfortunately I underestimated the size of the goldfish in the pond, and ended up with a fish about 10 inches long, including the tail fin. He keeps bumping into the sides, and does take up quite a lot of space. The filter has been doing a good job keeping the water perfectly clear, but I was wondering if his large size could pose problems down the road.

·
Registered
192 Posts
you need to put it back in the pond. Goldfish get huge, and a 10" fish should be in at least a 75gal tank. I would really considering putting it back in the pond. Why is the reason you took it out of a pond and put it in a small tank?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Please put that fish back in the pond. :) Keeping it in that 10G tank is like making a human live in a closet.

I'm sure it's nice to have a pet fish in the house, but that particular fish really could only be happy in an environment that suits its size.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
one phrase: don't do goldfish. put them in the pond too and get something like guppies, because ten gallons really is a small tank, and you can't put much in it. trust me, the feeder (and basically all other) goldfish get huge. we have two footers at my high school. goldfish in general shouldnt be in anything smaller than a 55, and that's for the smallest varieties...

I hope you pick something better suited to the tank you have, because it will save you a lot of greif and you'll be happier with your setup.... good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts