Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey! first off thanks to susankat for all the help once again. so my planted 40gal got a bomb droped in it during the week lost like 12 fish in 2 days and i was amazed how they could get sick with a uv filter in the tank and a 2Month old bulb that WAS working. it looked like fin rot/ ick. so i had an idea to get rid of the rest of my fish (gave to a neighbor with a spare tank)and swap from a tetra /planted tank to a cichlid tank. so in about 6 hours my tank went from

TO this.
ph is on the rise 7.4 at the moment and starting a new cycle. still deciding on what fish i want in there. i want to stick to lake tanganyika cichlids.
Rocks are blue stone and black slate. substrate is pool filter sand untreated , and some cheap dead coral.
:fish-in-bowl:
so a question i have for you cichlid owners is what other non cichlid fish or inverts do you have in your tank. i was interested in some freshwater clams anyone have luck with them before? Also what can i use for algae cleanup. nothing too big but something bigenough to not be bothered by cichlids. (remember its also only a 40gal) :) thx!

·
Banned
54 Posts
Sorry about the crash, but the makeover looks fabulous :)
There are lots of possibilities, but being a North American Natives keeper, i might suggest some of the smaller species, such as Orange spotted Sunfish, Black Banded Sunfish, Obesus, Dollar Sunfish. Or any number of the Darter Family. All available from reputable breeders, or on aquabid, Or depending on your local DNR regulations, catch your own.

That maybe being somthing not of interest to you, what is the PH of your water source?? I find it much easier to match the fish to my water, than try to maintain ideal conditions another way. Sounds like it may be naturally high, which opens lots of doors for you in the African group of fishes.

Although i now concentrate on mostly Natives, I have at one time had a long history of keeping all sorts of cichlids. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
out of tap my water is 7.0 ph. when i had the driftwood/planted tank it was stable at 6.4 with out any buffers. with the coral in the tank now it was 7.2 last night 7.4 this morning and a friend gave me some crushed coral and a media bag so thats in my tank now. trying to get it to 8.0 and keep it there for Tanganyika cichlids. i was leaning towards that lake from the begining, so think im going to stick to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts