Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

Only yesterday I got 4 Otos, I have attached pictures of what one of them now look like. I can’t say for certain that it didn’t come like this, but I’m pretty sure I would have noticed.
Is this Oto bearing eggs or is this an illness of some sort?

I really hope all is OK, all water parameters are good, there wasn’t much Algae in the tank, but there was some considerable white hair algae, could this have just had a great meal or could this be the start of a terrible ending?

I’ve read and looked at multiple posts and images on the subject and the images I have seem very different to others. Others I saw that died were more overall rounded, this seems to be normal size with just a rounded belly.

I understand it’s rare for Otos to breed in captivity so I’m really just hoping someone can give he rare, but positive news!

Fish Fin Tail Wildlife Wood
Atmosphere Hood Water Sky Fish
Organism Window Water Fin Liquid

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought I’d update this post with what i happened:

In the end I lost 2 of the 4 newly acquired Otocinclus.
I did as much research as I could to make sure I was doing everything I could to ensure the same didn’t happen to the others, or future Otos I owned.

The most common reason I could find for this bloating was that the bacteria that forms in the stomach of the Otos can sometimes die off when being transported from suppliers to local stores, there can also be lack of available food due to the Otos being purely Algae eaters. This starves the bacteria to death, quicker than the Oto, so when added to a tank that had a good supply of algae the Otos eat and eat away, but the bacteria that should be there to assist in the breaking down of this inside the stomach is dead & therefore unable to process the algae and causes this bloating, and most likely death.

I did not find a solution to this, but heard it’s one of the many reasons some fish keepers don’t like supporting the wild catching of Otocinclus.

Please note, this is not a professional opinion and the above reasoning is just collation of other things I’ve read on various other forums, but is sadly the only answers I could find that aligned with my situation, I hope this helps someone else looking for answers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts