Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Effect of Certain Food in the number of Fry Produced

South Jersey Guppy Group (Fancy Guppies) Specializing in championship show guppies

Experiments with Guppy Foods

by Dr. E. C. & Associates

The following statistics are the results of an extensive series of test run by Drs. Larr, Johns and Tobins. To determine which kinds of foods would cause female guppies to drop the largest number of fry.

Each test group consisted of three pairs of adult guppies which were fed only the one kind of food- - and no others—during the 120 day test period. Each tank of test fish were fed three times a day: morning, noon and afternoon (4 pm.). The dry food tests consisted of alternate feedings of regular and flake food; the regular food being a 50/50 mix of two leading brands of dry food; the flake foods being a 50/50 mix of two leading brands of flake foods. (Since these tests were conducted. Another brand of dry food has been tested which fits between #5 and #6 for production of young.)

FOOD TEST NUMBER 6642 (LARR, JOHNS, ROBINS)

FOOD TOTAL No. of Fry

1: Earthworms, chopped 178
2: Earthworms, chopped frozen 164
3: Beef heart 143
4: Tubifex 141
5: Brine Shrimp, Hatched 101
6: Gordon’s Formula (Liver) 79
7: Brine Shrimp, Adult Frozen 76
8: Dry Food, flake & regular 52
9: Freeze-dry (brine shrimp & tubifex) 40
10: Leaf lettuce 37
11: Peas 28
12: Farina 18
13: White worms 16
14: Oat Meal 12
15: Bran 9
16: Bread 6

All low producing pairs were given earthworms at the end of the above test and all quickly gave results as in # 1

17: Earthworms and dry food 194
18: Earthworms, beef heart and lettuce 221
In the testing of beef heart it was found that feeding this material, even every other day, prolonged the guppy’s life from 25% to 50%.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I don't see is if these numbers belongs to only one drop or two.

The health & vitality of both females and drops appear not to be tested either. It would be interesting to know that too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Other research indicate that food rich is fatty acids (found in many live food including worms) increase the number of fry per drop. I personally saw an increase of at least 50% in the number of fry my females dropped after I started feeding them live BBS daily.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Re: Effect of Certain Food in the number of Fry Produced

Thanks for the great article. My Belonesox just had 45 babies. I'm going to be in the need of lots of feeders and was just going to ask if anyone knew how to get larger broods. Earthworms it is!

·
Registered
64 Posts
the earthworms will be fo some good food , just dont forget the other vitamins all protein is not good, vitamins are great with the protein.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts