Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought an eclipse 12 gallon setup (I know I sort of rushed it and bought this without doing much homework) but I have put a lot into it and it has been up and running for about a month and a half. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the 50-50 lighting that it came with. Is this the right light to add inverts or corals? Also, what would be a good hardy invert or coral to add to my tank? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How many watts is your light? If it has enough watts you could probably have just about anything except sps corals. I would recommend sexy shrimp, strawberry crabs, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, star fish (excluding linkyas), snails and hermit crabs. Keep us posted on your progress, and don't forget the pics!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is only 13w on 12 gallons so I don't think it will work out. There are some kits I've read about that you can buy and modify the hood to add more light. Is there anything besides fish and crabs (ie. anemones or other inverts that would be ok with the current light?) Thanks for the help, I'll try to get some pics up soon.

·
Registered
324 Posts
with a twelve gallon setup, you'll have trouble keeping more than a couple of fish. with the stock lighting there are no photosynthetic corals i would recommend and the non photosynthetic ones can be very difficult for beginners and advanced alike.

However, small hermits and shrimp will do fine. as a centerpiece species many people often choose to keep a pair of occelaris clowns in a tank that size. occelaris are readily available and very hardy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input. I don't want to get any more fish, I have 2 clowns, 3 hermits and a camel shrimp. I was just trying to figure out how to make the landscaping a little prettier. There's about 15 pounds of live rock and the coralline algae is spreading so that will look cool soon. I'm already saving up for a bigger setup that I can go all out on, I just have to wait until I move. Thanks again for you help!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts