Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I keep a dwarf gourmi in my 6.6 gallon 24 inch tank with a few neon tetras? And how many tetras can I keep?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ended up buying a flame dwarf gourami and I got about 8 neons will that be ok? Wasthinking of getting a snail or 2

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think for a 6.6 gal that this would be overstocking. Neons in spite of being small need room to swim, and male dwarf gouramis can get up to 2.5 inches. They are also in general very peaceful but they are territorial and need some space in the tank to themselves. So it's possible your gourami might get frustrated and harass and stress the Neons to death.

They both recommended to need at least 10 gallons or larger. I would go with larger, 15-20 gals for 8 Neons and a Dwarf.

For a 6.6 I'd add a betta, a couple plants, a pretty Nerite snail, and a few shrimp.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most places I looked said dwarf gouramis need 5 gal minimum... What if I donated 4 of them to a friend and had 4 tetras a snail and my dwarf gourami???

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
As long as you keep the water in great condition you should be alright. It also just depends on the temperment of your fish. Sometime fish are really docile and don't mind smaller space, sometime they are more aggressive.

If your fish settle down good and don't harass each other and you keep up on water quality you should be alright. Does the tank have any decoration/hiding spots for the dwarf?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts