Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just replaced two Emperor 400 filters from the previous owner's tank (pretty used) and replaced them with a quieter filter being the Hot Magnum Cannister (2 of them) which was suggested from another fish friend. Seems it kicks around substrate much more than the Emperor 400 and in fact can see tiny particules floating which I never used to see - obviously more water is being moved in the tank and the subsrate is getting ready for planting but just wondering if the driftwood combined with substrate and new filters is the issue - I mean should tiny sand particules be floating around slightly clouding the tank for days?

Substrate then gravel over when planting to lessen the substrate floating?

Driftwood was a great piece from aquariumplants.com but rinsed it off before placing it in.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I found when I replaced my canister from the EHEIM to a Marineland that the one thing I noted was the difference in the strength of the flow even though they were supposed to be comparible in the flow rates. The outlet shape and all was totally different and it took a lot of working about to get it to the correct angle and all to get it to quit kicking up debris from all over. Even massive substrate cleaning did not seem to matter. The filter is just a differen breed of cats, if you know what I mean. Try turning the outlet to a different angle and play with it to see if that makes a difference. It was the thing that made mine work but then mine is a different type of Marineland filter.

I hope this is a bit helpful anyway, but no I do not think this is a normal thing you are experiencing and I would call the Technical support people actually. That company has one of the best Customer Service and Tech Support areas on the planet.

Rose

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I haven't put in the bio filter yet due to waiting on the plants to arrive but will play with the defuser to see what it does. I'd hate for the fish to be breathing the substrate debris.

On a customer service note Drs. Foster & Smith e-mailed me today Sunday after the light I received was broken on Saturday saying they have shipped out a new one free of charge and are sending a self addressed shipping label for me to send the faulty one back...whoa! great service!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks -

Is there a process to cure driftwood? seems there is debris coming from there as well. I rinsed it off and sort of brushed it then put it in. Was I supposed to wash it thoroughly and sun dry it or something?

p.s. -when I took out the Emperor 400's they were filled with substrate

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Water is not tainted but I didn't soak it it for 72 hours - I covered it in a bucket and rinsed it but not soaking it for days. Water and perameters are in line albeit the az hard water issues.

I just called Drs Fosters and asked if I could get a bio wheel for my HOT canister and they said it only come with the Magnum Pro System -

Should I just wash up my older Emeperor 400's, change the filters and go that way instead of upgrading to the Pro Magnum bio wheel canisters?

Also, do I need to take out my driftwood and soak it as it's been soaking now for two days in the tank?

What Aquaclear model do you have? suggestions for my 80gl?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts