Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was attaching a plant to a peice of driftwood I noticed a rotting smell that came from it. Its a peice of grapevine wood if I remember right. Is this harmful to the fish? Should I only stick with Mopani driftwood?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anything rotting in your tank is bad.
They have some really nice looking fake driftwood in the Drs. Foster and Smith catalog, that may be your safest and cheapest way to go.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im agianst fake plants and fake driftwood. even if it looks just like the real deal, knowing its fake it will still bother me every time i think about it :p

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
Im agianst fake plants and fake driftwood. even if it looks just like the real deal, knowing its fake it will still bother me every time i think about it :p
I have to agree with that.

Anyways, did you boil the driftwood before putting it in your tank? This gets rid of all the microorganisms on your driftwood.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyways, did you boil the driftwood before putting it in your tank? This gets rid of all the microorganisms on your driftwood.
Yes I did, I also researched on Grapevine twist driftwood and most people are saying that LFS usually sell and advertise grapevine twists as driftwood when it's NOT good for driftwood because fruit tree material leeches out too much sap and rots extremely quick. Mine rotted within 2 weeks. Im going to stick with Mopani wood from now on, it looks a lot nicer anyway.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
I used to have driftwood in my 55...but i took it out after it started rotting on me. It smelled like sewage and made the water disgusting. so for now it just has the sand and a couple of accessories

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
Yes I did, I also researched on Grapevine twist driftwood and most people are saying that LFS usually sell and advertise grapevine twists as driftwood when it's NOT good for driftwood because fruit tree material leeches out too much sap and rots extremely quick. Mine rotted within 2 weeks. Im going to stick with Mopani wood from now on, it looks a lot nicer anyway.
I guess it's really a hit or miss type of thing. But yea, I would stick to Mopani driftwood. It looks better anyway, in my opinion of course. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Personally the safety of knowing it is not going to pollute my tank is worth knowing it is fake but mopani looks great too.
I hope you get the look you are going for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts