Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Wile I am waiting for my tank based CO2 setup, I decided to try DIY CO2.
I followed the most popular "recipe", but it looks like the "reactor" is not starting *frown. When I shake a bottle a little, it bubbles from defuser like there is no tomorrow, and it make me a worry not to over dose. But after 2-3 min it slow down, and eventually stops generating CO2 completely.

Any idea what component need to be added more? (perhaps)

Recipe:
2l Soda bottle
3/4 worm water
2 cups of sugar
1/4 tea spoon dry yeast (kept in 80F water for 20min before mixing)
1/4 tea spoon baking soda

Thanks,
Aram

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not sure about the baking soda. Try 2 things:

1.) Raise your bubbler in your tank. If you have it too low, the water pressure will be too much and it will not bubble.

2.) Make sure you have a good seal on your cap. I used plumbing tape in the past to insure a good seal. You can also add a valve with a splitter that releases some bubbles to a cup, if you find you get too many bubbles (once we fix this problem)

If all this fails, try fresh yeast. Add it to luke warm water that has been treated for chlorine (Prime). Try a mixture of sugar and brown sugar. Fill up 3/4 of the way full or more. Leave out the baking soda...that will change your pH, and is not necessary IMO.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Baking soda is fine. It will help make your mix last longer.

Is that all the water you are using? If so, it is too little. The water level should be up to where the bottle starts to curve in.

What are you using for your diffuser? Not necessarily an issue but depending on the type you are using, you will need to seal around the tubes in the lids. Use silicone for this application.

Are you using a seperator bottle?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hey guys!
Thanks for reply.

I will post a picture later this afternoon. But for now I will try to explain what I have: 2 L soda bottle, I drill the cap and installed fitting (I found from Model Plain website). Then I took 20oz soda bottle and attached (silicone) to my main 2 L bottle. I glue this 2 bottles that the caps are aliened.
On the cap of the 20oz bottle I drilled 2 holes and installed 2 fittings, one of the fitting has a plastic tube extended (underneath the cap) almost to the bottom of that 20oz bottle, and that is my CO2 input from 2L bottle.

Now, from the 20oz bottle second fitting goes to the diffuser. Diffuser is a glass version of it. Looks like a ADA knockoff. All silicon based tubing are secured with zip tie, all this was tested many times, and there is no leaks.

Water that I use is tap (6.8pH), and it is filled up to where the bottle starts to curve in. 20oz bottle has a about 10oz of boiled water, and I don't see any bubbles right there.

So what makes me believe that the problem is my recipe.

Yeast is brand new (dry, like a sand type), and I don't use valve.

Thanks,
Aram

PS My tank is 5.5G, I don't think water pressure is that high.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not sure I understand why you need a second a bottle. I just go from the 2 L to the tank and make sure the diffuser is not too deep. I guess a picture would really help.

BTW...I'm not even sure CO2 is needed for such a small tank. I would just do 50% water changes once a week and that should be fine for any plants your growing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks.
I am just testing to see how this DIY CO2 works.
Second bottle is my control bottle, there I can see how fast is CO2 get's generated (bobble counting), since it's a natural way of generating CO2 it may create some buildups in the line, so I think in that second bottle I can clean all staff off IMO (or may be not *#3)

Aram

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Did you silicone around the fittings? The thing with the glass diffusers is that they require stronger pressure. As the pressure builds in the bottle, chances are that it is going to create a leak around the cap (either where the fitting is or the threads).

Dmax...the second bottle is the seperator bottle. It is used to help prevent the gunk from getting into the tank. As well as a bubble counter. Not necessary...but definately a good thing to have.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it going!
I just added a little more yeast. I kept it in the 80F water for 25-30min
and after I added to the sugar / water mix, I see the "reaction" after one hour.

Thanks All

Aram

1 - 9 of 9 Posts