Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried coffee filters full of carbon, with a zip tie to close them. it worked for a little while, but eventually the coffee filters broke down and fell apart. now im thinking of usuing a thin cloth, like maybe cut sections of a plain white
T-shirt. but im worried about detergents in the shirt.

Has anyone tried this? i could use some thoughts on the detergent problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you rinse the shirt, and rinse with a couple batches of fresh water you can easily remove any detergents from a shirt. Or, you can get steaping(tea) bags. You can get like four 3''x2'' bags four a couple bucks. They're usually cloth bags.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
Lol
Good idea

·
Registered
29 Posts
Soak your tshirts in water with a little vinegar and the vinegar will break down the soap. Then rinse a few times and you should be good

·
Registered
278 Posts
Why not just use the little mesh bags that most SW folks use for carbon and resins. You can get them in a couple of different sizes. They are reasonably cheap and readily available. I use them in all of my Aquaclear filters and my sumps, as its a bit cheaper than using the pre-filled cartridges that you buy. Just a suggestion if you havent already thought of it...

·
Registered
271 Posts
or you could just leave the carbon out completely, since it isn't necessary for daily operation of your filter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts