Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to this site just wanted to say hello, I am a DIY specially when it comes to maintaining a better ecosystem for my Sharks.
Anyways, after my Marineland c-360 canister filter leaked all over my hardwood florrs I decided to develop my own DIY canister filter made out of a 5 gallon bucket and some inexpensive plumbing parts. It is a dual action 10 phase canister filter that is easy to maintain.. It keeps my water crystal clear like new and also my ammonia levels minimul (see pic)

The dirty unfiltered water comes in from the upper right half of the canister filter is pushed down and is then carried up to the water level tube on the left side and the water is then scrubbed again..and then the water is pushed back out to the tank..(i designed the pics and the name from my shark tank)
It is a relatively easy make it took less than a 1 hour to make and realtively inexpensive less than 20 dollars.. If your interested in the schematics and making one yourself contact me and ill send you the schematics and the step by step instructions at how to do it yourself..
The reason I am doing this is due to I am sick of companies not standing by there warranties ... And once you make one you can remake others for other applications on other tanks so to HECK with them Overpriced COMPANIES
message me or email me and i will send them to you
Shane
i used to feel like this changing my water

·
Registered
141 Posts
hey bro sound grate i was just looking for some thing like this im going to start on a fresh water sting ray tank and i need some thing like this could i get more detail from you on how to make it please im not going to sale or give your idea to someone else like you i like to think out side the box and save my self a few bucks and have the pride that i did it my self .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ceramic rings are Extremely porous ceramic media for efficient biological filtration. Hollow design effectively distributes water flow and allows massive colonies of beneficial bacteria to grow on and inside each ring. Great for both fresh and saltwater aquariums. FilStar Ceramic Rings are designed for use in all FilStar filters but can also be used with other canister filters. For optimum biological filtration, use 1 liter per 75 gallons of aquarium water.

They generally come in a bag at a pet store rewashable and reuseable I have also seen the use of platic drinking straws cut in 1 inch length and used instead

·
Registered
141 Posts
Can we see a pic of your sharks? Like I said I would to start a freshwater stingray do you know anything about them any suggestion would be appreciated. I’ve keep spotted rays in the past I think I’m not a total nobe but am debating between a freshwater Atlantic stingray from st jhons river variety which are totally freshwater, or some of the south American Amazonian variety?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill post the pics tommorrow my picture uploader is on other computer and gf is doing schoolwork so ill have to upload them tommorrow i couldnt get the whole tank in tho just smaller pics of Sharks.. I did see a freshwater stingray tank and rays for sale up here in wisconsin I ask about them and they seemed pretty cool and low maintenance just a little sand on the bottom of tank but im not sure what they eat or the filtration process
they would probably need water movement like my sharks to keep the water circulating.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes! Right they do need the same sort of filtration the bigger the better they feed and defecate a lot do you have anything else to circulate water in your tank apart from the sharke

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i aso have a powerhead which circulates the water pretty good when it works t is alos a bad design maybe ill try to make a better one of the

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Here is a picture of my 2 biggest freshwater sharks one has lost his eye though due to a pig nose puffer that the guy at aquarium store said would be ok so i call him one eye jack there both about 10 inches long right now i had them for almost 3 years

·
Registered
141 Posts
impressive bro erodesent sharks are some of my most favorite fish they get big. and let me know when you desine that powerhead i would paten it if i where you. i think that as soon as i get the 200gal for the rays ill start doing the filter most likely this weekend.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Why would you have a fine filter on top and the coarse filter on the bottom? Most filters go from coarse to smaller and smaller so that you don't clog the smallest filter with larger matrial/debris. Am I just reading it wrong?

And it looks like about 50% of the water gets recycled back into the filter and 50% goes back to the tank directly?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry the filter media is upside down and the pumps are in a seperate holding container so it gets recycled again

1 - 20 of 46 Posts