Aquarium Forum banner

Discus will not eat.

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  snowghost45 
#1 ·
I got a couple of discus and one will not eat. One is eating fine the other I have not seen eat anything since I got him...4 days ago.

I have used flake as well as blood worms and it showed no interest in either.

It is about 1.5 - 2 inches, the other discus chases him around occasionally but not so often I think it is a threat.

Any thoughts or questions let me know I will answer as quick as I can.

*c/p*

#4 ·
If you only have two and one is not eating remove it if possible.Not to sound to obvious,but if it doesn't eat it will die.For me the real secret to keeping is whether they eat or not,easily and always.With only two one will antagonise the other to death.Most my reading says groups of 4-6.I had problems in the beginning when I only had 3.2 lived one died.Then I got two more ,one of them lived and one died.Even just 10 weeks ago I got two(had 4 or 5) and it was close call with the new.I went right back to LFS and got two more,and all evened out.
They really aren't nice to each other if they can bully the same one easily.
2 of mine bred in the community 180 and I moved them to a 120 leaving only six,and one was always hiding.
I just added 2 more last weekend (totall of 8 again) and all seem fine.
Although diffacult(due to price and availability) add as many at the same time as possible and seems like less than 5 is trouble.
Mine eat flake(tetra pro crisp{only flake I ever use} and frozen bloodworms,daphnia,cyclopeeze,brine and mysis shrimp.
Keep up on water changes(like 25-50% )every other day,and keep temp at least 80F.
If you have another tank you should move the weak one at least till it adjust to your water and feeding.
Oh ya,thy say discus like to be fed up to 6 times a day(another good reason to change water).
GOOD LUCK they're great fish,just wicked picky.

#5 ·
Another tip would be re-arranging the complete tank upon introduction of a new fish. This eliminates the established territories and gives the newbies a chance to stake out their roost.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advise guys, I am worried more now about the pestering than the eating...he seems to be in an adjustment phase and is starting to eat a little now but still not much. They were mail order so I am sure that is a stressful event...so I will monitor the eating thing and see what happens...If I only have one tank available (The others I have are fully stocked) what is the best option as far as numbers? I can handle the bio load of more fish at the moment but when everything grows up I am pretty well maxed out as I am now.

#8 ·
from the previous owner, it depends what they fed it before they sold it to you. Try the tropical granules. Usually they they eat it because the food lays where the feeding ground is at. do you feed him frozen blood worms or live? Frozen is best since it doesnt move around so much, discus tend to have a harder time eating live ones if you have more fishes around them because theyre slow eaters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.