Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhh, I am so happy! I've got fries from my Golden Melon and Golden Candle, yippie! Here is some pictures:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow, that is great! I've always heard it's really hard to breed Discus, was that true?

I think your thread title is funny. I thought you were offering a new meal deal at McDonalds at first. Thankfully not.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
That's a beautiful pair of Discus that you have. I remember a LFS in the '70s told me that Discus fry eat their parent's slime coat when newly hatched. It appears they were right. I imagine the fry will grow up to be as beautiful as the parents. Good job!

·
Discus lover and not only
50 Posts
Ahhh, I am so happy! I've got fries from my Golden Melon and Golden Candle, yippie! Here is some pictures:

Congratulations they are gorgeous and good pairs are rare.The second crucial part starts right now so I wish you all the best!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that is great! I've always heard it's really hard to breed Discus, was that true?

I think your thread title is funny. I thought you were offering a new meal deal at McDonalds at first. Thankfully not.

Thank you!

Hahaha! Don't eat my fries!!! LOL

(this is one of the reasons I shouldn't write in English. I thouhgt, One fry Many fries??)

I think it is not hard to breed Discus, but to let them grow up healthy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a beautiful pair of Discus that you have. I remember a LFS in the '70s told me that Discus fry eat their parent's slime coat when newly hatched. It appears they were right. I imagine the fry will grow up to be as beautiful as the parents. Good job!
Thanks fishfinder!

Yes, it is amazing to see how they eat on their own parents.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congratulations they are gorgeous and good pairs are rare.The second crucial part starts right now so I wish you all the best!
Thank you Harry! Yes, I have lot of work to be done now, haha!

·
50 Posts
Here, a new picture from tonight :)

Amazing picture,could you tell us a few things about the pair and the water chemistry that this wonderful birth took place?
I mean,was it success at once? If not,did any of the parents use to eat the eggs in the first place?
What is the Ph?Do you use R.O water for them?I think it is extremely interesting for all discus lovers.:animated_fish_swimm

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Amazing picture,could you tell us a few things about the pair and the water chemistry that this wonderful birth took place?
I mean,was it success at once? If not,did any of the parents use to eat the eggs in the first place?
What is the Ph?Do you use R.O water for them?I think it is extremely interesting for all discus lovers.:animated_fish_swimm

Thanks Harry!

(most of this post is translated from Swedish to English with Google translate, I hope you understand my post. If not, just answer) :)

Four weeks ago, I saw that they formed pairs. They live with 14 other Discus. Three weeks ago the laid eggs. The eggs hatched but was eaten by the other Discus. Two weeks ago I prepared a smaller aquarium. I cleaned it properly and just took water from the tap with pH 7.9. The Aquarium was standing one day before I moved the couple. After one day, the laid eggs again. So this was the second time for them and they take good care of the babies as well. I have not done anything about the water.

Now do I change the water three times a day and have begun feeding with Artemia.

·
50 Posts
Thanks Harry!

(most of this post is translated from Swedish to English with Google translate, I hope you understand my post. If not, just answer) :)

Four weeks ago, I saw that they formed pairs. They live with 14 other Discus. Three weeks ago the laid eggs. The eggs hatched but was eaten by the other Discus. Two weeks ago I prepared a smaller aquarium. I cleaned it properly and just took water from the tap with pH 7.9. The Aquarium was standing one day before I moved the couple. After one day, the laid eggs again. So this was the second time for them and they take good care of the babies as well. I have not done anything about the water.

Now do I change the water three times a day and have begun feeding with Artemia.
Thank you for your prompt answer.
You are very lucky,as most of us have tried to have discus babies creating unique conditions for the pairs we have but without success.
There are a number of reasons that discus eat their eggs themselves or don't take care of them or the eggs don't hatch.Also it would be unbelievable for most of us to have fries at a ph of 7.9 when the ideal for pairs is about 6.5
That proves that a good pair can work miracles even in tap water and this is the way I keep my aquarium contrary to what what others insist.
Probably the quality of your tap water is great.
Keep it up!
P.S.whenever possible tell us what the general hardness of the water is.Thanks again.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Wow, those fry are growing fast. They are so adorable. Already you can tell they will be as beautiful as their parents.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wonderful :) but like someone else said the crucial step starts now :) your going to have to do heavy water changes every day and they like reverse osmosis water :)

Also, a few teaspoons of aquarium salt to keep the parent's slime coat healthy and a temperature of 87ºF to keep ick from trying to approach the fishes.

When they grow up they will need water changes once a week. And a good strong filter to clean the water :)

Also live plants are helpful too. Since live plants absorb a lot of the nitrite in the water and ammonia too along with good lighting the photosynthesis cycle will be able to help your tank too.

If you click on this link below

YouTube - STEVANOVIC112's Channel he has videos mainly documentaries. Look for Rivers of the Sun, Amazon 1 - 6.

If you keep on watching the full parts up to part 6 you will see how discus like to raise their young in the wild.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts