Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i made a new planted aquarium 10 days ago and i introduced 3 new mature discus around 6-7 inches ( 2 female & 1 male), the older 3 discuss were young and healthy ( 3 inches) every one is happy in the new tank ( 300 liters), parameters are superb.
the new 2 females as soon as i put them in the aquarium showed the spawning behavior by shaking bodies and being friendly with the male however one female succeeded to lay eggs after cleaning a stone and the male fertilized 70% of it .. i was so happy , mom kept protecting the eggs with her male and aerating them ,
however the other female kept annoying them and disturbing the male and finally she bulled him though the male is a slightly bigger in size than her. Finally last night it seemed that she turned to the top of the hierarchy and the male hide from her , she started eating the eggs of the mom and none of the parents did anything to protect the eggs, i feel regret i should had moved the disturbing female but its too late now.
its my 1st time i see or know a female doing like that , eating other's female eggs !
my question now the male looks sad and keeps on the corner, and the disturbing female is shaking her body and showing spawning symptoms, is there a chance the male could fertilize the new eggs if any ?

i will attach photos and videos as well.

thanks

Ikhlas

Attachments

·
Master of Algae (THE MOA)
552 Posts
good question... you could always remove the offending female. the original pair will likely spawn again at a later date.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts