Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone planing any dip netting trips in the near future in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area? I haven't been on one before and would love to join anyone planning one.

I'll be renewing my freshwater fishing license soon. I don't have a dip net yet; any suggestions where I can get a cheap one?

Thanks

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
go to Bass pro shops and get one of the $20 extension nets they sell. the pole is a hexigon shape and silver, and the net itself is black-with SMALL holes. It is the best net I ever had!

Reactions: Dach

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
any luck yet? I'll be trying to catch a full grown peacock bass that has been hanging around the shore of a river by my school, so maybe I can organize some extra stuff too!

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
I got him!!! I tried to tempt him with hook and line, but he didn't so much as react until it touched his nose, then he swam around it. he didn't move far, (in fact, he moved to a easier place to catch him...) so I took my dip net, and stuck it in fromt of him.... no reaction. It wasn't until I actually started to scoop him up that he started thrashing. upon closer inspection, his dorsal fin was shredded (mostly) a split in his tail, and scratches on his side. the real kicker though is that he has cataracts in not one, but BOTH EYES!!! he was able to survive while blind! we stuck him (at about 14+ inches, he's pretty big) in a 40 gallon tank for quarentine, after that he'll go with a smallmouth bass and 3 large sunfish in a 500 gallon tub... In addition, I went back grabbed the net, and looked into the water... looking back at me was a Red-Bellied Slider turtle that was just as long as the peacock bass! he gave me no trouble when I went to scoop him up. In fact, he is less afraid of people than the red-ear we've had since it was a baby!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations on catching that peacock bass and turtle! :fish-in-a-bag: Any pics?

I got a dip net from bass pro shop. I'm going to head out sometime this weekend! Not sure where yet....

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Check out the Drainage Canals along some of the roads, where there is aquatic grasses. usually that is where you can catch the most variety of native and exotic fish. In fact, once I even caught a baby pleco, only half an inch long! you can also catch a wide variety of Sunfish, Shrimp/crawdads, killies, and cichlids, with the occational catfish. Post pictures of the Fish you catch, and I could tell you the species and it's care neccesities. I go fishing all the time.....

No pictures yet, but soon I'll have them. there is no school tomorrow (friday) so I'll probably take pictures on monday...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I do catch something, the only ones I might keep are mollies and killies - no more tank space for more cichlids :). I'm going to try my luck at the nearby canal tomorrow. I'll try and post some pics if I catch anything interesting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also interested in an organized Dip Netting venture, having never attempted such before I'm sure there are techniques to be learned from the experienced fishermen amongst us. :fish9:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts