Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two weeks my two guoramis have died. Nobody else in the tank seems to have any problems. Is there any reason I should be concerned about the rest of the tank.

Also the other day a neon tetra went missing. If his tankmates eat him, would there be any remains left over or would it just be completely gone.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oh god, neon tetras. You know how many people think that neon tetras dying is a sign that they have something wrong with the tank? Yes, you may have something wrong with the tank, but that has nothing to do with the neon tetras death.

Neon tetras have been bred so much in the commercial trades that their genes are so weak, its a shock if you can keep them alive in an aquarium without them being wild caught. I have a few friends that have them, and they are the lucky and the few. I have never had luck with gouramis either, they have either picked on the other fish til I put them in a tank by themselves or they died mysteriously. Check all your peramiters though, make sure that theres nothing drastically wrong with the tank, then check back here.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you misunderstood me, the problem was the guoramis not the tetras. I wasnt surprised at all when I saw that one was missing. The question about the tetras was: If the other fish in the tank ate him, say overnight, would the whole fish be gone or just chunks of him. In other words, how long does it take the fish to eat a fish that size. I ask because I never found a body.

My guoramis have always been good fish until now. In fact it was usually them that was getting picked on.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a few tetras, 3 tiger barbs, 2 angels, and a black ghost knife in a 20 gallon.

Yes I know how big the black ghost knife gets:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts