Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to stock a 29g tall and I want to start with some Danios (mainly because my son has fallen in love with the geneticly altered 'GloFish' Danio).

Because I know these are schooling fish and are happier and healthier in a schoal I want to get several. Do I need to get all the same type for a schoal? I was hoping for a couple of Glo's, a couple of longfin Zebra's, maybe a couple of longfin Golden. Would these school together or do I need to get more of each type to lower stress to the fish?

As a child I remember my mother had two Zebra's that chased each other all over the tank. I thought it was because they were happy and playful but now I realize it was perhaps stress and agression. I really don't want unhappy fishies :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
The glos are geneticly altered zebras.
They will school with the regular zebras.
In the wild many species of danio school together.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
I know that Danios will shool together. I've heard to keep sets of at least three. I usually go with pairs. If you get a chance, look for leopard danios. They are a variation of the zebra, but instead they are spotted with a yellow body. I think that I still have two that are about a year and a half old. I find them more hardy than the zebras in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts