Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently purchased a 5 gallon tank that I'll have in my dorm at school come fall. I had a tiny :)crying:) 2.5 gallon last year and am pumped to have something larger, but worried about establishing it.

A friend is holding onto the tank until late August, so I can't try to build any BB directly in the tank until I get to school. I'm wondering if I can try setting up the fishless 2.5 tank in June&July, then stock it early August, and preserve as much of the "dirty" water as possible with all the decor so I can establish my 5 gal with it asap. Does that sound possible? Any tips on cycling a 5 gallon (I've only heard rumors that it's possible in something so small) would be much appreciated, as well as stocking ideas and moving help.

I've only kept betta splendens, and hope to branch out into other species if I can get away from my one true love :fish10:

Thanks all!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. Yes that should work. You may want to see if you can get a ramshorn or pond snail from the pet store, they come in on plants, to help you cycle along. I would suggest maybe some Cherry shrimp or any Neocartia type shrimp and maybe some Least Killies. I'd also add some java moss. Best of luck P.M. me if you have questions

·
What do fish think about?
3,684 Posts
Transferring decor (and substrate, if you can), as well as filter media from your established 2.5 gallon is the easiest way to seed a tank. Don't worry about the water - tank water in and of itself has very little bacteria actually floating in it. You may still face a mini-cycle as the existing bacteria colonies adjust to the new bio-load, but it won't be half as bad as starting from scratch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Transferring decor (and substrate, if you can), as well as filter media from your established 2.5 gallon is the easiest way to seed a tank. Don't worry about the water - tank water in and of itself has very little bacteria actually floating in it. You may still face a mini-cycle as the existing bacteria colonies adjust to the new bio-load, but it won't be half as bad as starting from scratch.
Awesome-- that substrate, decor, and media still should be kept damp though, right? Should I worry about temperature at all? Thank you!

·
Suffers from TMT syndrome
355 Posts
+1 to this. Transferring the water doesn't help as much as people think. Substrate, decor, and filter media are where the majority of the BB exist, so transferring them would be ideal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts