Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My not-planted 29 gal. tank is almost finished with it's nitrogen cycle, but I have a question:

OK, from my understanding, once I get NitrIte readings I'm supposed to keep adding a little bit of ammonia daily to keep the bacteria fed.

Except every time I do, the NitrItes spike again. Yesterday the readings were:

Amm: 0.25 to 0 ppm
NitrItes: 0.25ppm
NitrAtes: 20ppm

I added about 1/4 of a teaspoon to my 29 gal. tank.

This morning I tested the NitrItes again, and it's back up to 5.0ppm.

Did I get mixed up somewhere? Are there supposed to be repeated nitrIte spikes? From what I read it was supposed to be ONE spike. And I have Nitrate now. Do I stop putting in the ammonia or keep going?

·
Registered
15 Posts
i'm confused, nitrogen cycle and adding ammonia applies to salt water tanks but you said it was a planted tank. is it salt or freshwater

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm confused, nitrogen cycle and adding ammonia applies to salt water tanks but you said it was a planted tank. is it salt or freshwater
Sorry, I said it was a NOT-planted tank and probably should have specified more. It's freshwater. You can do the ammonia cycling method for fresh too.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
It doesnt just apply to saltwater tanks. Its both fresh and salt. If it doesnt apply to fresh, then no fish would be able to survive in any freshwater community.

I think the reason why you are getting ammonia and nitrite readings is because you keep adding ammonia. It doesnt break down instantly so some lingers. It seems as if your tank has already finished cycling and when you test it, the amount of ammonia you put in hasnt fully broke down fully into nitrate yet and by the time it gets to nitrite, you add more ammonia. I bet you if you wait 1-2 days without adding ammonia, your readings would be 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite with readings of nitrate.

Reactions: longtail4711

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I shouldn't have worried, everything dropped to zero and the nitrAtes spiked. So the tank is ready now. :)

I think I was adding too much ammonia, but thankfully it sorted itself out.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Good work. Do a big water change to reduce the high nitrAte spike before adding fish.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Done and done! I moved the fish over. Two guppies, a plecostomus, and a gourami. I covered their tank with a dark sheet so they could deal with the stress easier.

So far this morning the guppies are having the time of their lives with all the space, the pleco seems happy sucking away at the glass.

The gourami is still hiding and too freaked to come out from under some driftwood except when he needs air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts