Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10g with 2 apistogramma borellii, 37 with 1 Dwarf Gourami, 11 Colombian Tetras, 1 Hillstream Loach.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 29 gallon tank, (planning on breeding my Apistogramma Borellii in it), and it is not cycled.
And as such I am cycling it (no duh), I put some old fish food in as well as driftwood and the sponge filter that was in my 37 gallon for 6 months.
So I am wondering about when exactly It would be truly safe to put my fish in, these are my most prized fish, so im not going to take any risks.
Also, a weird jello-ish goo has appeared on the food I put in, and has spread to all the driftwood, from my understanding this is biofilm or infusoria or both
but I am rather concerned about it (again, no risks) and especially since it has been bubbling, normally goo does not bubble.

Attachments

· Registered
10g with 2 apistogramma borellii, 37 with 1 Dwarf Gourami, 11 Colombian Tetras, 1 Hillstream Loach.
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked your parameters? Fish food rots but unless you test you will never know if its cycled. Take wood out and clean it,
test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.
I only have test strips (unreliable) that test Nitrite and Nitrate, and Both are Undetectable, which makes no sense as the sponge filter is a very well used one, these test strips have shown actual results in my 37 (so it isn't that they aren't working), and the food has been rotting for a while.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need ammonia checked to make sure filter is processing it. Take to fish store they will test.
I am most definitely sure that ammonia IS being processed, 2 days ago I swapped filter cartridges in the 37, Made sure to get the most of the groggy cartridge water via washing in tank water and pouring, and the sponge filter has been running completely uncleaned, for seven months, if anything I have is cycled, its that.
Personally I am not that concerned about the cycle for the reasons mentioned above, Its the goo that concerns me enough to make this post, what to do about it?
Simply scrubbing it off is hard since I have a truely massive piece of driftwood and it (the goo) spreads quick, thinking of grabbing some sort of bulletproof snail (like nerite or apple) to eat the goo

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nerite and other inverts are sensitive to ammonia/nitrite, they are hardy in that they can survive a wide range of water but not if there's a lot of ammonia/nitrite
well ok, I was just spitballing but I guess that is so, I still however need to do something about the goo

· Registered
120 Posts
Honestly, I get it, but it's pretty common for a piece of dry wood to grow that film once added to an aquarium. It won't hurt anything, and it will go away once the tank establishes. One thing you could do, since you seem pretty sure the tank is cycled, is get some mollies. My balloon dalmations take care of that stuff on wood in a day or too.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Honestly, I get it, but it's pretty common for a piece of dry wood to grow that film once added to an aquarium. It won't hurt anything, and it will go away once the tank establishes. One thing you could do, since you seem pretty sure the tank is cycled, is get some mollies. My balloon dalmations take care of that stuff on wood in a day or too.
Seems nice, yesterday I threw In a bunch of food just to make sure the tank can handle a good sized bioload, so maybe by next week I'll get a fish in there, thinking Hillstream loaches, they love the Afwuchs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts