Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Aspiring Aquarist
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal? My ammonia is the same, my nitrites are still 0, but I am starting to see Nitrates rising? Doesn't there have to be nitrite before nitrates? Thanks :)

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
+1

Plants consume ammonia directly but in that process consume less nitrates.

So the cycle with plants usually is low to no ammonia, nitrItes but an initial nitrate spike.

Then as bacteria build up and consume the ammonia, then nitrates drop down. Usually in a 2-3 weeks or so.

my .02

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
FWIW

here is parameters I measured on a FW planted I started.

·
Aspiring Aquarist
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have real plants in my tank yet though :/ I was thinking about getting some but the guy at the LFS surprisingly told me to wait because the ammonia would kill them. huh. this is pretty interesting! thanks guys! I think after the third week I will start to add stuff. Plants first though, I dont want to kill my fishies!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Plants will definitely use ammonia before nitrates. Without remembering the web site, there is an article about a study on aquatic plants and their ammonia/nitrate intake.

I was researching FW refugiums in regards to nitrate reduction, when I stumbled on the article.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You need to get a good liquid test kit as this will help you get accurate readings so you can add the correct amounts of ammonia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts