Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
aquariumkids.com
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our next science unit is the respiratory and circulatory systems. As part of this, we have a 'goldfish lab'. It involves looking at live goldfish under the microscope! You take the goldfish out of the water and lay them under a cotton pad for a few minutes to see their blood flow. Curious, I asked my teacher what happens to the goldfish afterwards and she said that 'there aren't usually many left'. She seems pretty set on doing it. What should I do? I couldn't come back home to my goldfish knowing that I just helped in the slaughter and torture of another? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our next science unit is the respiratory and circulatory systems. As part of this, we have a 'goldfish lab'. It involves looking at live goldfish under the microscope! You take the goldfish out of the water and lay them under a cotton pad for a few minutes to see their blood flow. Curious, I asked my teacher what happens to the goldfish afterwards and she said that 'there aren't usually many left'. She seems pretty set on doing it. What should I do? I couldn't come back home to my goldfish knowing that I just helped in the slaughter and torture of another? Thanks!
That's cruel...I guess you can take a goldfish and not do the experiment. It can be a buddy for the one you already have. Just tell your teacher that you'll watch a computer stimulation of the material on YouTube. As long as you understand the material, who cares if you don't kill a fish in the name of science?

·
aquariumkids.com
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol I haven't updated my tanks in awhile

56G: 2 goldfish
29G: 5 glass catfish, 6 neon tetras, 6 endlers livebearers, 1 lyretail guppy, 2 otocinclus catfish, and assorted shrimp and snails

·
aquariumkids.com
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to talk to my teacher yet, as we had the state testing this week.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can't imagine doing an experiment like that on a gold fish. Nothing like suffocating a pet in the name of science. I love my goldfish. Whenever my husband or I tap on the top of their tank they know to swim up because it is feeding time. And, I swear that the goldfish recognize that my husband is the more generous of the two of us at feeding times ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts