Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My large male festivum and small rainbow cichlid are protecting a nest. At first I thought he was ill from the odd behavior. I just checked and they are hovering over a clutch in a low back corner together. They are the only two cichlids in this 29G so I guess I might of created a problem. Is this common with such an odd pairing and should I expect the fry to be viable?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I doubt the fry are viable from a breeding perspective. I'd love to see a photo in 2-3 months just to check them out. Do the hobby a big favor, don't or give away any of these fry.

Happy Holidays

·
On the wild side
4,132 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing some photos of any fry that may survive, just for curiousity. As mentioned, dont give away/sell the fry and dont re breed.

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
It is not that uncommon for cichlids to cross breed. I agree with the others, don't give them away or sell them but DO give us pics when they are old enough :) :) :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently they must of ate the eggs because they disappeared. I took the opportunity to separate the two.

·
i need another tank.
3,189 Posts
Aww dang it, well at least there is not a chance of them falling into the hands of a greedy person who would sell them to make a quick buck.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
As long as you give away or sell letting the new owner know exactly what they are buying i see no issue with it. Or sell as feeders....something i would grab in a heartbeat! (very hungry eel lives here lol)

·
Registered
814 Posts
I would have liked to see the fry, but I'm happy that nature took care of this for you. I have heard of folks pulling hybreds out of feeders and if one unethical person gets their hands on them they are all over the hobby. I commend you for spliting the pair up.

Merry Christmas

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to get a female rainbow for my male.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts