Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall,Just wanted to know if anyone has experienced bizzare ciclid behavior.I have a single Jack Dempsey that has been with me for about 6 years.Lately he's been an absolute nut in the tank.The tank is a 55 long so I think he has enough room.I have some rocks he can hide under and up until this point everything has been normal.He's worrying me though with his'floundering' and fast movements.He tends to want to rub against the rocks(not the substrate)then he darts towards the glass or to the bottom really hard.I am up in arms with this.I will answer any further questions if need be.Thanks in advance.

·
New Member Manager
689 Posts
What are the water parameters? pH, nitrate, hardness, is there any ammonia? Does he have any other tank mates? How often do you do your water changes? How much of a water change do you make each time? Are there any visible symptoms of disease? What is his size?

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Cichlids are sometimes very territorial, and this could only be a display on his part directed toward you, when you enter his area. I would check all water parameters, and the tank temp, and keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the water parameters? pH, nitrate, hardness, is there any ammonia? Does he have any other tank mates? How often do you do your water changes? How much of a water change do you make each time? Are there any visible symptoms of disease? What is his size?
water is and has been fine.I change out about 6 to 10 gallons everytime the water gets low from evaporation(about every one and a half to two weeks)No signs of disease and he is the only one in there.He is about 5 or 6 inches long.Like I said,nothing as far as water adds and feeding has changed in 6 years.The tank has been set up for about 8 years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cichlids are sometimes very territorial, and this could only be a display on his part directed toward you, when you enter his area. I would check all water parameters, and the tank temp, and keep an eye on him.
Yes I totally agree.I had two ciclids in the tank but had to seperate them about a year ago b/c the one bigger one wouldn't stop bothering the other.Tried the divider fora while and then took it out to see if they would be friends but to no avail.I now have the bigger cic in another smaller tank fornow.Thanks for the speedy reply tonight.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
forgot to say the water temp naturally sits right in the middle of the green on the tank thermometer.Thank you too for the speedy reply.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
Have you tried changing the rocks around or adding more rocks so that he feels less territorial and more secure? Its an easy fix.

If you are using tap water for your water changes, it could be a change in chemicals or the amount of chemicals they put in your water. A thought to consider.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried changing the rocks around or adding more rocks so that he feels less territorial and more secure? Its an easy fix.

If you are using tap water for your water changes, it could be a change in chemicals or the amount of chemicals they put in your water. A thought to consider.
I have two seperate rock formations.I guess I could put more but he's been fine with what he's had for years.Easy fix indeed.I am using tap but with it I use the declorinator.What water would you suggest I use?I am learning a lot tonight .What a wonderful site.

·
Registered
724 Posts
R/O water is ideal. I used tap water for many years with dechlorinator, and when I decided to start a reef tank I got a R/O unit, and I think it was the best single thing I could have done for my tanks and fish. Any algae and/or diatom issues I had in the past completely went away in a few weeks and my fish were much more active and "happy". R/O water is much better for your fish long term than tap water is because your fish aren't exposed to any potentially harmful chemicals. Buying a R/O unit seems a bit spendy at first, but you'll get so much use out of it and your tanks and fish with thank you for it!

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
You can get spring water or RO water or use filtered water. If you use RO water, you will need to adjust the ph because it will usually read about 6. Also you will need to adjust the hardness. You can get RO water at many LFS. It costs more that way, though. Another option which might help is to switch Prime to condition your water which handles the chlorines, chloramines and heavy metals. Prime users feel free to jump in here to explain the benefits.

And, your rock formations have been working for a long time, but all of a sudden you are having behavioral problems from your Jack. When you move them around, it breaks up his territory for a day or two. Gives him something else to think about. I think of it like getting cabin fever in the winter ... if that applies to where you live. Sometimes we move furniture around or redecorate. It almost seems like being in a new place altogether. You can also then clean under the rocks if you haven't done that for a while.

Also, what type of food do you feed? The same type all the time? Flakes, pellets, frozen, live?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can get spring water or RO water or use filtered water. If you use RO water, you will need to adjust the ph because it will usually read about 6. Also you will need to adjust the hardness. You can get RO water at many LFS. It costs more that way, though. Another option which might help is to switch Prime to condition your water which handles the chlorines, chloramines and heavy metals. Prime users feel free to jump in here to explain the benefits.

And, your rock formations have been working for a long time, but all of a sudden you are having behavioral problems from your Jack. When you move them around, it breaks up his territory for a day or two. Gives him something else to think about. I think of it like getting cabin fever in the winter ... if that applies to where you live. Sometimes we move furniture around or redecorate. It almost seems like being in a new place altogether. You can also then clean under the rocks if you haven't done that for a while.

Also, what type of food do you feed? The same type all the time? Flakes, pellets, frozen, live?
I have always used mostly cichlid pellets,with a lil flake in between.I will try and move the rocks around to see if he calms down.Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
R/O water is ideal. I used tap water for many years with dechlorinator, and when I decided to start a reef tank I got a R/O unit, and I think it was the best single thing I could have done for my tanks and fish. Any algae and/or diatom issues I had in the past completely went away in a few weeks and my fish were much more active and "happy". R/O water is much better for your fish long term than tap water is because your fish aren't exposed to any potentially harmful chemicals. Buying a R/O unit seems a bit spendy at first, but you'll get so much use out of it and your tanks and fish with thank you for it!
Well,I'm not very well financially to get a RO machine.Besides I was told that RO water is most useful in reef or salt water tanks.I do question the tap here from time to time though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
it sounds like your tank thermometer is the kind that sticks on the outside. if youve had it for 8 years, its time for a new one, and i wouldnt trust the reading youre getting from it. pick up a glass thermometer that suction cups to the inside of the tank. they dont cost much more, they are more accurate, and they last forever.

the only other thing i can think of, is you arent changing enough water out at a time. you do water changes every 2 weeks, but it should be closer to 15 gallons every two weeks. or it could be your water conditioning. what type of water conditioners do you use?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it sounds like your tank thermometer is the kind that sticks on the outside. if youve had it for 8 years, its time for a new one, and i wouldnt trust the reading youre getting from it. pick up a glass thermometer that suction cups to the inside of the tank. they dont cost much more, they are more accurate, and they last forever.

the only other thing i can think of, is you arent changing enough water out at a time. you do water changes every 2 weeks, but it should be closer to 15 gallons every two weeks. or it could be your water conditioning. what type of water conditioners do you use?
Wow I'm impressed with your collection!Anyhoo the thermometer is of the glass type,thanks.Now I gotta get up,hang on...ok the conditioner would be the "Aquasafe" brand and I shoot some stress coat in there every great once in a while.Oddly enough,I think the rock formation switcheroo solved the problem.I actually gave it a good suction today with about six gallons of tank water.It has been a lil while since I've done that,but you know what?It's one fish in a 55 long!This tank has few problems.It's practically maintenance free.The Jack actually ate tonight with no 'floundering'or odd behavior...so far.Thanks again for the thermo tip.I actually let mine float around..fugg it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts