Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just received an order from ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home and i can not say enough good things about them. I highly recomend them...

Anyway, back to the subject. I now have many snails but my crabs are ganging up on them and picking at them. Should i take out the crabs or just let them because it has only been a couple hours having the snails in the tank.

Also my wrasse is picking at them too.
Thanks,
john

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ditto, get them some empty shells. Crabs get bored with their shells alot and will take out a snail to get a new one.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My hermit crab killed a huge snail in my reef, ate it, tried to get into its shell, and then realized that the shell was WAAAY to big for it. Extra shells should definitely help

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hermit crabs, especially blue legs love the taste of snail meat. They'll tell you they want a bigger shell, but even if you have empty shells around hermits don't like sticking to a vegetarian diet and they love to nibble on asterina snails.
The best hermits are scarlets, they will stick to their vegetarian diet until they get really big. Or buy tiger trochus snails, these snails can turn themselves back over when they fall and they're good at fending off hungry hermits. ;]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts