Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a juvenile cowfish, so started a nonreef tank. I put the cowfish in my quarantine tank while I am cycling nonreef tank. My real questions are what fish will be compatable with the cowfish and also do a job with keeping the tank clean in some way. I was thinking about gobies that get over 6 inches and larger wrasses.

Thanks for any help that you can give.

·
Registered
111 Posts
hi i have two juvenile allardi clowns and with them i have a sixlined wrasse. A six lined wrasse will also eat some of your bristle worms or flatworms.

·
Deep Diver
23 Posts
Stop! Whoever gave you the advice to put a cowfish in a fish only tank is an idiot or don't know what the hell their taking about. Cowfish are related to boxfish and both release a toxin when under duress or sometime just before they die. This toxin can have the potential to kill it's tankmates if the flow and volume of water is not enough to dilute it. Usually an experienced hobbyist will put cowfishes and boxfishes in tanks with just corals and live rock and other boxfish species since their poison WONT affect the corals and the fish DONT eat corals. Cowfishes eat zooplankton and tiny crabs and shrimps in the wild--- trust me, I catch aquarium fish for a living. So... You may want to start rethinking your tank plans.

·
Registered
259 Posts
or just get rid of the cowfish because it is a pain to work around a fish rather then the fish working around you.. just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts