Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Snowmonkey
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Couple Quick simple Questions *Revised*

ok i have always wondered this but have never remembered to post about it
should i leave the light on or off at night?
How fast should the water evaporate from the tank? right now it loses about an inch from the top every week or so. is this normal amount for a tropical tank at about 78 degrees. i usually add 2 tsp. of salt to it every week or so.
Should i clean the dried salt on the hood?
how dirty should the filter get before i replace it?

New*= im going away for a few days, i bought those tetramin feeding tabs for like 5 days which should be plenty. are these good?
Also, should i leave the light on or off? ill be gone from friday afternoon to sunday afternoon, give or take a few hours. i will probably pick up one of those timers when im down there, but until then im not sure what to do.

thanks

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Light off at night, unless you have a special moonlight designed for night time use. Evaporation is about right. Salt does not evaporate so cut back on that, only add it when you do a water change, to keep the level constant. Otherwise its building up in the water faster than on the hood ;) Wipe the dry salt off with a damp cloth. When the filter flow is impeded its a good time to change it out.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would use a timer for the light so you don't have to bother with it. Get one at Menards for $5, don't get one at the pet stores, you'll pay double. I set mine for 14 hours, but I have a 55 with plants. Otherwise, 10-12 hours is plenty, just simulate the light level they would get in nature.

My rule of thumb for a freshwater tropical tank (is that what you have?) is 1 teaspoon/gal and yes only add that to the new water you're putting in, since salt generally doesn't evaporate out. A hydrometer is the only way to test salinity I think.

You must be using an air pump somewhere to get that kind of evap. I switched to power heads and I don't get nearly as much, nor will you get the calcium/salt buildup on the hood glass. That was the biggest mess I remember, right over the airstone/lift tubes would be a big green blob and white crud around it. That's calcium/limescale, probably not salt. When I would try to clean it, it just wouldn't come off, even with a razor. Maybe Billy Mays has something, like that Kaboom stuff, but I wouldn't want that to leech into the tank water. I still have crud on mine from 10+ years ago, but the light gets through. When i get extra $ I'll replace the hood glass.

As for the filter, what kind of filter is it? Careful how you 'clean' it, you don't want to kill off your good bacteria, or you'll end up re-cycling your tank's biological system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts