Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

My Corydoras paleatus (aka Peppered Corydoras) is about to lay eggs.
She is approximately twice in her size *#3... But for some reason she is delaying and I think I know why. The tank is getting to small for her. Plants are taking more and more space ... Anyway so I am setting up a breeding tank (temporary) for her, and I think my question is about setting up a breeding tank
Tank 5.5 Gallon
Heater: 50W
Filter: Sponge filter (I kept the sponge in the main tank overnight)
Air stone

On the second day, I added a cup of water from main tank as well.
Now today is a 3rd day of this tank setup, and a water a little milky...
I have 4 guppy's there now (about 48 hours). Guppys are a little slow at this moment, but I think they will handle this cycling

I will do the water parameter reading a little letter today.

How long this milky water will stay this way?
And also, when can I introduce my cory trio to this tank?

Thanks.
Aram

·
Registered
756 Posts
Your tank is not cycled. A day old sponge filter and some water from your other tank will not do it. You need to move some of your current filter material over there or some of your gravel.

For breeding corys, you might just want to try this:

I have found that a lot of corys tend to lay eggs only when the water is perfect for them, so I am not sure moving her would be the thing to do. They like to lay them near fast flowing water, usually near the output of a filter. I have heard of a cool trick of using a few strands of a mop head tied to the top near the filter. The cory swim up there and lays the eggs on the cloth strands. Another common area is on large leaves, and I have read of people getting maple/oak leaves from outside and placed them at the bottom of the tank for the corys to breed on. Hope you get eggs!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
My green and peppereds are in love mode right now. I got tons of current high in my tank and they have been laying eggs up against the glass near the top and to about 8" down.

My trick to get them to lay is a 5 degree drop in water temp on new water coming in the tank.

those guppies might be lucky to endure a hard cycle and come out alive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply ALL!!!

I have no problems with breeding C. paleatus. I have raised to adult some fry, so I am pretty comfortable with process. Thanks for tips anyways!!!
The problem is that I have never setup breeding ("naked") tank before.

Dmaaaaax:
I don't think I will be able to get substrate from my main tank. I mean I can, but water in my main tank will be dirty for 3 weeks!!! and some plans will have all roots exposed. Filter that I used in this breeder, is sponge filter (internal filter, that was recomended by many breeders), so there is no place to put my media from AquaClear. Can I move the filter (AquaClear) to this breeder for overnight? And leave my main tank with no filtration for tonight?

WhiteDevil:
Can I use power head for stream?
Something like Mini-Jet 404.

Thanks
Aram

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
use the smallest one you can find for a small tank, size accordingly.

hell just change your AC's sponge and drop the old one in the tank.

Do you have another filter you can you? I use AC20's on my baby tanks.(naked ones)and just cut a sponge and put the sponge over the inlet tube. I use ac50 sponges for this as it insured the fry wont get close to the inlet tube itself and I also wrap the inlet tube prior to putting the sponge on with a mesh bag. It works for me so I keep on doing it.

Also you can get a mesh baggie biggest one you can find for a filter, and just take fill it up with gravel from the established tank and toss it in the new tank. 1 night wont do anything to be honest, itll be a waste of time to do that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sponge from AC, is very good idea! Thanks

I have this garbage Tetra Whisper PF10 Filtration System. Is this Tetra Whisper will do the job? I remember it had very good flow ... other then that, it's noisy very expensive media filter :)

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
it wil do the job. I think of filters as housing and what is supposed to go inside is a suggestion. I got a top fin 40 that operates identical to an aquaclear now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As per some reports, this process may take 4 to 8 weeks ...
I don't recall seeing nitrogen cycle this long ...

Oh BTW, one small guppy died :(
Rest of the fish has their tails looks like getting "glue" together
I hope it's not a infection, and still they are very passive.

Day 3 water parameters:
pH: 7.0
NH3/NH4: almost 0.0 maybe 0.2
Temp: 79F

Will do 10-15% WC later this afternoon

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, here is my update, I lost to guppys during a cycling, but 2 others on the next day became very active, and starts eating.
Yesterday morning I transferred my C. paleatus trio to this cycled tank, and within 3 hours I found around 120 eggs ... I was a little surprised with perfect timing, so I went back and found around 40 eggs in original tank as well (I am sure there was more, I have male egg eater :(
Can I leave eggs in new (5.5Gal) tank, or should I collected them in to a smaller container with air stone?
I have very nice water flow from Hang-On filter, also I have internal sponge filter.

Thanks,
Aram

1 - 11 of 11 Posts