Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions about keeping albino cory cat fish
~I have heard they need to be in groups how many fish per group?~
~I have also heard the have a labryninth(know i spelled that wrong) and can breath air, do they require a filter?~

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Yes they need to be in groups of at least 3 or 4 and actually the more the better for them to behave naturally.

No they do not have a labrynth organ like bettas and such. They will gulp air a few times a day, but they do need a filter.

In one tank I have 14 emerald cories, in another I have 9 of c. rabutti. Its so cool to watch them shoal in groups like that.

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I'm thinking of getting 3. They don't? because I went to a site that said they do. I saw some really nice lookin` albinos at the LFS so i'm thinking of adding some to my fishy family. LOL

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I can't find it now but I know I searched for "cory catfish care". Thanks for the link! I'm thinking of buying a ten gal. to put my female betta, 3 cory cats and i'm dying for a rosy red fathead minnow hybrid (they exist saw some at my LFS).

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I dont keep them in groups less then 6, I have a dozen peppered and greens in the same tank, they do just fine. I dont think they are labrynith fish, They do come up to gulp air but all fish do this, catfish just do it alot and that includes ALL species of catfish.

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya, I went to a couple more sited that said they don't have a labrynth organ so I guess that site was just incorrect. I have changed my plans AGAIN for my next fish tank and I am now thinking of breeding paradise gouramis.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Corys are great fish. I have a group of 7 panda corys in a tank with cardinal tetras and rummynose tetras. I started with a group of 3 and they seemed to exhibit natural schooling behavior, even in such a small group. I'd definitely recommend them.

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They seem like wonderful fish! the ones at my LFS were all very healthy and seemed to be active and interested in people (wich I can't say for all catfish).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts