Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Teach a man to fish....
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added a Kenya Tree Coral a while back. It bloomed up and grew big and was waving all over the place. Then, two days ago, I had moved a few rocks around and that obviously startled it into submission. It has not came back to life since. Did I maybe block off some of the flow it was enjoying or could it be something else I wonder? I Vodka and SeaKlear dose every week so it's not Nitrates/Phosphates. Anyone know these Corals well?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I added a Kenya Tree Coral a while back. It bloomed up and grew big and was waving all over the place. Then, two days ago, I had moved a few rocks around and that obviously startled it into submission. It has not came back to life since. Did I maybe block off some of the flow it was enjoying or could it be something else I wonder? I Vodka and SeaKlear dose every week so it's not Nitrates/Phosphates. Anyone know these Corals well?
As I recall, tree coral is fairly hardy and easy to care for. (for coral) But, I'd encourage you to check and re-check you parameters. You say it can't be Nitrates/Phosphates. Why? Have you tested the water to be sure? You don't know until you know. You're using vodka and seaklear, which is fine but there's no guarantee that it's working. And it could be something else too. Gotta test the water.

Also, water temp should be between 72-78? Are you giving your coral supplements? (a coral's got to eat!) Do you have a skimmer? Are you doing water changes? Ummm, light? It's not usually a problem with tree coral but... you know.

Anyhoo, live coral's one of the most beautiful things (IMHO) in a salt tank but it's not the easiest thing to raise. Ya kinda got to baby it. So I'd check those things out and let us know. Good luck! :)

·
Vodka Doser
6,496 Posts
Its a softy coral bro, ya tick em off it could take em a few days to a week or so to open back up. If you moved a few rocks around, you probably stirred the bottom tank up, and thus detritus, and possibly upped the nitrates a bit. Shouldn't do anything to it but make em mad. Those things are bullet proof, he'll come back.
Then again, is it closed up tight, and shiny? He may have picked this time to shed also.

·
Teach a man to fish....
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As I recall, tree coral is fairly hardy and easy to care for. (for coral) But, I'd encourage you to check and re-check you parameters. You say it can't be Nitrates/Phosphates. Why? Have you tested the water to be sure? You don't know until you know. You're using vodka and seaklear, which is fine but there's no guarantee that it's working. And it could be something else too. Gotta test the water.

Also, water temp should be between 72-78? Are you giving your coral supplements? (a coral's got to eat!) Do you have a skimmer? Are you doing water changes? Ummm, light? It's not usually a problem with tree coral but... you know.

Nitrates=10
Phosphates=0.5
Salinity=1.026
PH=8.4
Temp=76'
Alkalinity=7
Calcium=460
Magnesium=1300

Yes. I have a HOB Aqua Maxx Skimmer, I have two 120 Watt LED Dimmable Lights over my 55 gallon tank, 2 Wave Maker Power Heads rated for 800 GPH. I run nothing but RO/DI water in my tank. So.....Yeah. I think I just pissed him off. I do not, however, feed my Corals directly. I may want to try dosing some Plankton, but I will give him some time to get over it. Just don't want to lose em. They are like night and day between happy and mad. Ha ha. Thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Nitrates=10
Phosphates=0.5
Salinity=1.026
PH=8.4
Temp=76'
Alkalinity=7
Calcium=460
Magnesium=1300

Yes. I have a HOB Aqua Maxx Skimmer, I have two 120 Watt LED Dimmable Lights over my 55 gallon tank, 2 Wave Maker Power Heads rated for 800 GPH. I run nothing but RO/DI water in my tank. So.....Yeah. I think I just pissed him off. I do not, however, feed my Corals directly. I may want to try dosing some Plankton, but I will give him some time to get over it. Just don't want to lose em. They are like night and day between happy and mad. Ha ha. Thanks.
Isn't your phosphorous relatively high?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nitrates=10
Phosphates=0.5
Salinity=1.026
PH=8.4
Temp=76'
Alkalinity=7
Calcium=460
Magnesium=1300

Yes. I have a HOB Aqua Maxx Skimmer, I have two 120 Watt LED Dimmable Lights over my 55 gallon tank, 2 Wave Maker Power Heads rated for 800 GPH. I run nothing but RO/DI water in my tank. So.....Yeah. I think I just pissed him off. I do not, however, feed my Corals directly. I may want to try dosing some Plankton, but I will give him some time to get over it. Just don't want to lose em. They are like night and day between happy and mad. Ha ha. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. Parameters look reasonable so they probably just have an attitude. Hang in there and keep us posted.

·
Teach a man to fish....
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I moved him up a little higher on the rocks. Maybe when I added the newest rock it threw off his flow. It's been about 12 hours and he looks better, but not all the way up yet. (Of course moving him probably didn't help.) I'll update tomorrow for sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am not sure on soft corals but bury in sand worked well for my anemones.
My point is to check if anything released from sand/substrate while moving irritates him. Not nitrate, because all forms of nitrates in seawater are soluble, rather other microscopic organisms live in DSB got released that is responsible. Since you don't have DSB then I conclude that it is likely the water flow.

·
Teach a man to fish....
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So you can see how far up he is and I don't know if it might be too much flow for it or not? Although in much better shape, still not "happy" Maybe leave it be for a few days and see what happens. There's no reason for it to die as far as water quality goes. That much I know.

Attachments

·
Teach a man to fish....
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry about the snowy pics. I've been brushing off rocks one at a time from my last bound up phosphate epidemic. The green star polyp you see in this pic is sometimes very expressive, other days it doesn't even open. Both this and the Kenya Tree are in high flow areas.

·
Teach a man to fish....
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last pic of the day. Full tank this afternoon. I have one little side issue. I have lost 2 cleaner wrasses in back to back weeks with no signs of stress, fighting or even a dead body. Is my Anemone eating these? Where would it go even if it died there should be at least a trace?!!

Attachments

·
Teach a man to fish....
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry about the snowy pics. I've been brushing off rocks one at a time from my last bound up phosphate epidemic. The green star polyp you see in this pic is sometimes very expressive, other days it doesn't even open. Both this and the Kenya Tree are in high flow areas.
whoops

Attachments

·
Teach a man to fish....
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha ha. Well I only moved him that one time. He looked 5 times the size and colorful when he was happy. and why do we call it a he? ha ha. Funny how we just assume sometimes right?!

·
Registered
379 Posts
So you can see how far up he is and I don't know if it might be too much flow for it or not? Although in much better shape, still not "happy" Maybe leave it be for a few days and see what happens. There's no reason for it to die as far as water quality goes. That much I know.
"He" is twisting because of too strong the direct flow or am I imagining?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts