Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new at the marine game (and when I say fairly, I mean very), but have had freshwater planted and non-planted for several years.

I've decided to give it a go, and see what trouble I can get myself into.

My question is about the lighting on a 47 gallon tall tank. It came with the lame 18 watt single tube fluorescent which I know won't do the job. I want to start out with some 'easy' corals such as Fox coral, or mushroom (I'm sure all you saltwater veterans are chuckling at my use of the word 'easy').

Should I go with some power compacts, or head straight for the MH? Or maybe a combo? What about Watt? As far as T5 tubes, I'm having a heck of a time trying to locate shorty tubes for my tank. We're talking 20 inches. Yeah.

Also, if any of you guys have recommendations as far as Noo! Don't use those corals! or maybe something like I used to have a tank just like that! here's what I did... I will take all the information I can get my soggy mitts on.

Thanks,
Kardon

·
Registered
943 Posts
What are the demensions of your tank, 20 inch 40 gallons doesnt sound rite to me but there are some odd ball size tanks out there. When you decide on your lighting PLEASE dont get the cheapest that you can because it will give you all kinds of problems and no good reason to buy lights twice, buy quality the FIRST time also the flow in your tank is JUST as important as lighting so dont skimp on that. I would suggest that you try to decide what you want your tank to look like a year down the road and build your tank for that type of setup, another words would you like to get in to SPS corals if so then get the proper PH's and lighting for them so you dont have to buy twice because this hobby is expensive enough without buying twice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, it's an odd ball all right. At 20x18x30, I'm more limited by surface area than volume.

I'm not too worried about price, as I have a little time before I will even be able to set it up (I'm getting my floors redone).

As far as flow/filtration, I have a Fluval 350 canister, and was looking at the Koralia Nano line of power heads. Since this tank is a bit more vertical than horizontal, I thought they might work out well.

And of course the Skimmer and UV sterilizer...

I see what you're saying about looking ahead, what are my long term plans... It will probably be a while, but those SPSs sure are nice... :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Well in my opinion if you set your tank up properly and use a quarentine tank for all new additions then a UV is a waste of money at this point, I have been running reefs for 6-7 years and never had a need for one and all they do is cover up the problem they dont correct the problem. I dont like canister filters or HOB filters because if they are not cleaned very good weekly they will just cause nitrate issues they are nice for running carbon or phosphate remover if needed. With lighting PC's will not do you much good at all because the usable light will only penetrate about 6-8 inches so you will be best off with 1-250 watt MH and a couple actinics IMO. I will also say dont use CC because that will also cause nitrate issues use argonite sand unless you are going bare bottom and when you put LR in do your best to put all of it in at the same time or you will keep cycleing your tank every time you add more. I would use 2 #1 Koralia's and maybe 2 nano Koralia's also you should try to get 30-50 times water volume in flow from PH's. I would also suggest getting a book called The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, Robert M. Fenner its a very good book especially for new people getting into the hobby.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the UV sterilizer is apparently hot topic. I've heard some say my fish will invariably become diseased without, and have heard that I will take out my corals with. Oi Vey!

What filtration do you recommend? The base of my aquarium, being its odd ball shape, won't really fit a sump of any practical size. All skimmers and live rock, then?

From what I've read, argonite seems the way to go as far as substrate is concerned. I'm not a big bare-bottom guy. I'll leave something to the imagination... :p What about live sand?

And (more questions, questions, questions!) how do you feel about clamp-on-the-back style lighting? Hanging lights look great, but with a 25 foot ceiling... Ooh!

I'll see if I can't obtain that book...

·
Registered
943 Posts
LR and a good skimmer is all you would need, you can use a hang on filter as a refugium of sorts I will try to find the link for you. There is no reason to buy LS just get dry sand and it will become live in time. The clamp on lights are ver nice and would probably be your best option.

·
Marine Aquarium Expert/Saltwater Section Mgr.
355 Posts
a UV is not a waste of money!!! i don't no y you think it is?a uv will help other things a uv is not just for fish.read up on them. i have had a reef tanks for a long time and all my tanks have one on them. and far as live sand no you don't have to buy LS but it will take a long time until the dry sand becomes live what i do is put 50/50 and mix the sands. you can say the same for live rock you can buy 50/50 because it not the rock or sand that's alive it's whats on or in that's alive.

·
Registered
943 Posts
reefcrazy would you please explain why and what you are useing your UV's for and if you would have read all of what I said you might have understood and arent we all entitled to our opinions

Well in my opinion if you set your tank up properly and use a quarentine tank for all new additions then a UV is a waste of money at this point

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I didn't want to open a can of bloodworms, so I think I'll break in right about here... ;)

What kind of actinic lighting should I use? Would a 10,000k Halide be enough, or maybe hunt down some 18inch tubes to supplement?

·
Marine Aquarium Expert/Saltwater Section Mgr.
355 Posts
this is y i say what ever works for you is the way to go. but for me i will keep one on because i can tell in my tanks with it or without

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I didn't want to open a can of bloodworms, so I think I'll break in right about here... ;)

What kind of actinic lighting should I use? Would a 10,000k Halide be enough, or maybe hunt down some 18inch tubes to supplement?
Hi Kardon
Actinic lighting is the purple/blue lighting that most people use for dusk/dawn effects and in addition to regular lighting to bring out the color in the corals. At 20x18x30" tall(?) I would suggest using a single 250w metal halide, and possibly using actinic supplements if you have room or a way to add them. There are some small fixtures that combine metal halides and PC actinics that could work for you. Something like the Outer Orbit fixture here:
Reef Aquarium Lighting: Outer Orbit HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Fixture

A single metal halide pendant using a 14k+20k bulb would work well also and you wouldn't need actinics with it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, here is my odd-ball tank, but with a different stand:

Now you see!

I'll look and see what pendant lighting I can dig up for this vertically gifted beast...

·
Registered
943 Posts
Its like a tall cube sweet, that tank will look nice once you get it running anything from LOW light corals to HIGH light acros. I dont usually like clip on lights but I think it will look nice on your tank. I agree with Deb try to find a nice pendant or clip on with moonlights and a 14k-20k bulb and it will look sweet

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the clip-on style may be one of my few options... I'll sea what I can find.

Yes, that pun was intentional.

Thanks for the info so far guys!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts