Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just want to know-what is a better choice for an aquarist who has 0 live rock(though we have an algae grazing wall that we never scrub), tamed predatory fish-2 snowflake eels and 1 banded shark, both only eating squid and silversides, who both also never even go near tiny blue devil damsels or mandarinfish. i personally like coral beauties since they remind me of my favorite fish of all time-the royal gramma, and they are always cheap-our lfs, pets warehouse, is having a sale on coral beauties-$19.99!!!!! but it is my dad who always eyeballs the flame angel, which is usually about 50$. which is a better choice for a 125 gal with a banded shark, 2 snowflake eels, a dog face puffer, a clarkii clown, an occ. clown, 2 blue devils, a black tailed humbug, a green mandarinfish, a cleaner wrasse, 5 mummichog minnows, 3 feather duster tubeworms, and a few snails? or may their be an even better angel for this tank? we actually don't plan on having the angel in a 125 gal. we plan on upgrading to a 250 gal when my dad has enough $.

·
Registered
259 Posts
well if you have a 125 gallon and you want an angel id suggest putting a real angel in there, not a dwarf one.. but if had the choice it say flame because they add a nice splash of orange and black color.. although they do love to graze on love rocks... i may be reading this wrong but you have a mandarin goby in a 125 gallon with no live rock?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes. there is no live rock but he has been there for about 1 3/5 months. he plucks things alot with his mouth-i don't know why. he seems to be eating algae sometimes on our algae wall. i heard once that copepods like to hide in algae-is this true?

·
Registered
259 Posts
that be true... especially caulerpa, chaeto.. things like that, macro algae.. i would suggest maybe putting some in there for him.. hows he doing? looking fat or thin? and 1 3/5 months meaning 1 month and a little ? he may be dying.. without live rock to host his "critters" he may just starve...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:(unfortunatly the mandarin died:(

·
Registered
259 Posts
oh thats a shame.. he prob. didnt have enough food... i think im going to take mine back to the lfs and get a lawnmower blenny and another clownfish

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
back 2 the lfs?/! your tank is probably better than theres. u should never, ever take something back 2 the lfs becuse it is the same as killing it! instead of letting it slowly and painfully die, why not just kill it yourself so it dies a quick death?

·
Registered
47 Posts
NO LIVE ROCK? Your asking for trouble. Your mandarin obviously died of starvation. You and your dad need to do ALOT of research before you advance in the hobby any further. I've tried to help in other threads but you really arn't putting the effort into teaching yourselves from books and many available sites on the internet. I'm very sorry to come off strong but you are obviously trying to have everything you want in fish but without the knowledge and equipment.

Stop now before you waist more money and needless casualties.

I don't know how your tank hasn't completley crashed yet but the day is soon approching, and your banded bamboo shark isn't going to last in that atmosphere much longer before something bad happens.

Angles are one of the worst tankmates for banded bamboo sharks. The dwarf angels arn't as bad but still just the same arn't good tankmates.

If we were to pretend your situation had room for another fish a flame angel is my suggestion for looks and track record in a reef.

I'm only trying to help and it seems i'm the only one on this forum taking the time to say what has to be said to help you in the hobby.

I hope you get things worked out. Pick up some books next time you have some extra cash. They are a great help.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i agree with everything u just said.
i have been telling my dad 4 a while about what u have been saying but he does not believe in anything u say. if i were 2 set up my own saltwater tank there would definetly be a few pounds of live rock. he just does'nt believe in anything u say 4 he says that since he is been keeping saltwater 4 32 years he is the most knowlagable person in saltwater fishkeeping. he used 2 work at a pet shop and as soon as he quit, saltwater disappeared in that petshop. we also do have alot of books.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts