Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a water change last night and now I have some fish dying. I used water in gallon jugs I bought from the store because my water is a little hard (I am trying to soften it up and don't know any other way) because I had been just using tap water and treating it. I did use some tap water still to top it off but not much.

Anyways, everything seemed fine til I got home from work today and one of my balas died. Then tonight when I came home from being out I fed them. Everyone seemed fine, well one was acting a little sluggish but I didn't think it was a big deal, he was eating. Literally 5 seconds later I look and its upside down on the bottom of the tank. He could move his eyes and mouth (breathing hard) but wasnt moving anything else. I kept him right side up in my net and finally he started moving again slowly and then was swimming on his own again. He isn't moving around much and I pretty much figure he will be dead in the morning. All my other fish seem fine.

My question is what did I do wrong? I did take my time adding the water and added a little at a time.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
943 Posts
IF you used RO/DI water it is suggested to mix it with you own water to help stabalize the PH because RO/DI water can have large PH swings, not saying thats what happened tho

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fish is fine today and swimming around like normal.

I just used the like generic spring water in gallon jugs. I try to buy distilled if they have it but they didnt. I didn't do anything to it, I guess I figured it would be fine how it was. Next time I will remember to.

What do most of you do for water when you do a water change?

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
Same here.....untreated
Very hard too! EC of over 2000 microsiemens but it's reared many generations of angels .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts