Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Prime with my water changes because I read here that I would not get false ammonia reading with it.. But on another board they said you would get false ammonia readings, unless you had the correct type of test kit. I checked the Seachem website and they say you will get false reading unless you use their test kit.

I'm using an API Fresh water test kit, am I getting true ammonia readings or not?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've been using Prime with my water changes because I read here that I would not get false ammonia reading with it.. But on another board they said you would get false ammonia readings, unless you had the correct type of test kit. I checked the Seachem website and they say you will get false reading unless you use their test kit.

I'm using an API Fresh water test kit, am I getting true ammonia readings or not?
Nope, I have stated it here in several threads. You will get a false ammonia reading if you use another test kit while using Prime. The ammonia is technically still there...it is just detoxified, which is why other kits still pick it up. Your fish are safe and I prefer seeing it with other kits. It lets you know that you still have an ammonia problem and you need to continue using Prime until you no longer get an ammonia reading.

Keep in mind that the amount of Prime that you need to use is slightly more when trying to detoxify ammonia and nitrite. You also need to dose daily I believe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I have stated it here in several threads. You will get a false ammonia reading if you use another test kit while using Prime. The ammonia is technically still there...it is just detoxified, which is why other kits still pick it up. Your fish are safe and I prefer seeing it with other kits. It lets you know that you still have an ammonia problem and you need to continue using Prime until you no longer get an ammonia reading.

Keep in mind that the amount of Prime that you need to use is slightly more when trying to detoxify ammonia and nitrite. You also need to dose daily I believe.
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts