Aquarium Forum banner

Compatible fish

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DarkRevoultions 
#1 ·
Ok...it looks like I might have to give away my tiger barbs. There are some fish that I absolutely want in my tank, and I think the tiger barbs might be too limiting for me.

Right now I have 5 zebra danios and 5 tiger barbsand 1 red-tailed shark in a 55 gallon cycling tank. I would like to add 3 silver dollars, a pleco, and a couple or 3 blue rams. Would this combination work. Do I need to get rid of the barbs. I have read conflicting information. When my cycle completes I would like to be sure of what combination of fish I can have. Thanks everyone for any help you can offer.

#2 ·
Right now I have 5 zebra danios and 5 tiger barbs and 1 red-tailed shark in a 55 gallon cycling tank. I would like to add 3 silver dollars, a pleco, and a couple or 3 blue rams. Would this combination work? Do I need to get rid of the barbs. I have read conflicting information. When my cycle completes I would like to be sure of what combination of fish I can have. Thanks everyone for any help you can offer.
Tiger barbs are known as fin nippers and try to establish a pecking order amongst fish. If they are in a large school they will mostly pick on themselves. I'm not really sure if 5 would be a large enough school.

The zebra danios will probably be ok. The are fast enough to stay away from the barbs. The barbs will most likely ignore the pleco. The rams, red-tail and the silver dollars should be able to fend for themselves.

I'd believe you would be ok as far as aggression goes. The favored water conditions for these fish are a little different though:

Tiger Barb: 68-79 degrees, pH 6-8
Red-Tailed Shark: 72-76 degress, pH 6.5-7.5
Zebra Danios: 68-80 degrees, pH 6-8
Silver Dollars: 75-82 degrees, pH 5-7
Plecos: 72-86 degrees, pH 6.5-7.5
Blue Rams: 78-85 degrees, acidic water (pH 5)

You should be able to maintain conditions for the group if you leave the blue rams out. I'd say to leave the red-tailed shark out too and add in some clown loaches. I thnk the community may be happier.

#9 ·
Tiger barbs are fin nippers, and require temperatures from 75-81º F so they can go well with all of the other fishes, as long as there aren't any fishes with long fins, they should be fine..

Angels, and RAMS will be fine with each other. Angels stay on the top, and Rams usually will stay on the bottom, if you have plants in your tank, they should be fine. Plecos are great fishes to have :) they help with the tank cleaning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.