Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my house for about 3 hours and when I came back my two neon tetras were almost completely colorless and see through. They were completely fine before I left. The only thing that has changed was I put the sand into the tank yesterday, because it is a new tank. Less then an hour after realizing the color loss, the color had returned to its normal look. Why would it do this and has it happened to anybody else.

·
Registered
192 Posts
so is this a cycled tank, or did you just set the tank up?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Neons are fairly sensitive to water chemistry changes, and if the tank is not fully cycled they might have problems. Loss of color is usually a sign of stress.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree, Neon Tetras are not a very hardy fish. The cycling process is very rough on them. You might not see all of them make it through the process. I hope I'm wrong! Good luck!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Was the light off when you were gone. If it was the tetras probally just woke up. That happens to me all the time when they wake up. They are a dull grey and 10 minuiutes later they are bright and vivid again. If you notice any changes other than this you should post them because it may be something else like a cyling problem.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you are right garfreak. The light was off and the color did come back about ten minutes later. This has happened again since then and the color came right back when the light was turned on.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
I think you are right garfreak. The light was off and the color did come back about ten minutes later. This has happened again since then and the color came right back when the light was turned on.
sounds like there is a highly technical term for this.

it's called

normal.

:)

Hope they are fine.

my .02

·
Registered
153 Posts
I wonder why that happens. Because when people sleep we dont become all pale and grey.

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
I wonder why that happens. Because when people sleep we dont become all pale and grey.
have you ever looked at your self when you're sleeping?

My guess is that under dark conditions, the lack of bright colors is a survival thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts