Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
it never ends
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started a planted tank. My wife has 3 large gold fish so I put them in the tank. I added a few plants and some fertilizer and they stoped swimming and layed on the bottom I changed out some of the water and they started doing a lot better. Today I looked at them and all but one has cloudy eyes is this something that will clear up or is there something I have to do? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds to me like the tank hasn't cycled yet. There may be ammonia in the water that's what's causing the cloudy eyes. Get some zeolite for the filter (looks like small white rocks) and keep doing water changes if the ammonia shows up on a test kit. Don't clean the gravel or filter for atleast three or four weeks, and no more fertilizer for a couple of months. Add nothing but iron for plants in a new tank. PS koi and gold fish may eat the plants.

·
it never ends
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds to me like the tank hasn't cycled yet. There may be ammonia in the water that's what's causing the cloudy eyes. Get some zeolite for the filter (looks like small white rocks) and keep doing water changes if the ammonia shows up on a test kit. Don't clean the gravel or filter for atleast three or four weeks, and no more fertilizer for a couple of months. Add nothing but iron for plants in a new tank. PS koi and gold fish may eat the plants.
Thanks they are clearing up. And I haven't had a problem yet, I'm hoping to have them a new home here real soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts