Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fish tank is several years old(6+ years running) and I have a confession and a thread topic. It is the opposite of the thread title. I have never cleaned my gravel and have done almost no water changes.

The fish in the tank are several types of tetras which have to be 2+ years old and some neons that are 9+ months old. The last fish to die in the tank was a carnival goldfish that died 9 months ago... he liked to eat neons. And a Plecostomus that is several years old and the size of a boat.

I have have some of that cheap weed plant(anch...something)that was added 3+ months ago and just put in an amazon sword.

Does anyone else not clean their tanks at all?

My tank is slowly developing a soil and I do change the filter media every few months. The tank water is clear and the fish always seem healthy... although I think my sucker fish is nearing the end of his life. Also I noticed some snails hitched a ride on on the weedy plant.

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah, I was the same way. I say "was" because I don't have any tanks set up at the moment. Many of my tanks were top off only, however, when you decide to move your tanks for any reason you will most likely release a whole lot of ammonia out of the gravel. I moved a 55 after about 2 years of top off only and basically nuked my tank. So, if your going to do the top off only I suggest at least getting some rooted plants or sifters of some kind... i used snails and clams.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts